May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, SKB, 3 invisible), 651 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,060
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought my SSS from a water fowler in Louisiana years back - actually my wife gave it to me as an anniversary present. I have never shot steel in it and do not intend to; bismuth is preferred. One nice thing about the slip on butt pads is that in cold weather when you are wearing heavy clothing, you can remove the pad and shoot the gun off the steel butt plate. Mine is IC/M and shoots a tight Modified that is deadly way out there. I don't need no stinkin' removable chokes. smile

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought my SSS from a water fowler in Louisiana years back - actually my wife gave it to me as an anniversary present. I have never shot steel in it and do not intend to; bismuth is preferred. One nice thing about the slip on butt pads is that in cold weather when you are wearing heavy clothing, you can remove the pad and shoot the gun off the steel butt plate. Mine is IC/M and shoots a tight Modified that is deadly way out there. I don't need no stinkin' removable chokes. smile

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that third shot when using steel on a tough target like ducks. According to "ammo sellers/experts" a steel 2 has the same energy as a lead 4. The energy of the individual pellet is not as important as the total energy we can put on target and it is significantly less with the fewer pellets on target of steel. This is why the ducks are often knocked out of the sky to only swim away. Thus the need of a third shot. Secondly duck hunting is really hard on guns, water, mud, blowing dust and all the crap that is needed for a duck or goose hunt can cause guns to get scratched and sometimes sunk. Me, I like an ugly pump for ducks, nice guns for upland shooting.

But it is for you to do what you want to do. You're not me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
I like that third shot when using steel on a tough target like ducks. According to "ammo sellers/experts" a steel 2 has the same energy as a lead 4. The energy of the individual pellet is not as important as the total energy we can put on target and it is significantly less with the fewer pellets on target of steel. This is why the ducks are often knocked out of the sky to only swim away. Thus the need of a third shot. Secondly duck hunting is really hard on guns, water, mud, blowing dust and all the crap that is needed for a duck or goose hunt can cause guns to get scratched and sometimes sunk. Me, I like an ugly pump for ducks, nice guns for upland shooting.

I used my Nitro Special for water fowl hunting and it got pretty beat up. But a Nitro Special ain't no Parker and never will be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch

I have a backup shot for crippled ducks ...... it is my other barrel. Nothing predicates that I must shoot twice, and then require a third shot for cripples. And, if I am fortunate enough to double on ducks and need a finishing shot, I can reload my ejector doubles plenty fast enough. I have never lost a duck, that I can recall, because I wasn't shooting an automatic or a pump. I will use an auto on rare occasions, but it's not because it affords me 3 shots. It's because I don't want my HE Fox, or my BSS to get submerged.

I can see where these folks who prefer extractor guns would take a bit longer to reload and finish off a cripple, but I'm not in that camp. Cold fingers and/or thick gloves do not go well with extractor guns, IMO.

As you said, pooch, in a manner of speaking, to each his own.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/22/17 02:16 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
$4300 fur ah shot gon? souns acessive an ostentasious...

It is specialized gun of high quality made in very limited numbers. It is easily worth $4300.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never lost a duck is quite an achievement, you must be a wonderful shot and an excellent picker of blind locations to accomplish such a feat. I've never, before, met anyone who does much duck hunting, who has never lost a duck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't put words in my mouth, pooch. Read it again. I said I have never lost a duck, that I can recall, because I was not using a three-shot gun.

I have lost a few ducks, but they would not have been recovered by my having a three-shot gun. Most dived under immediately after hitting the water and grabbed something underwater. I could count them on on my fingers.

BTW, It was not my intention to disparage you, or your experience. I'm sorry if you took it that way. But, you really should read a little more carefully before responding with cynicism about my abilities, or lack of.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/22/17 07:15 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may sound brutish and judgemental. But from experience I have found I don't like double guns in a duck blind. Particularly an O/U, it's too easy to stick the muzzle into the mud or water when the gun is opened to reload. Shots in duck hunting are often taken crouched, sitting, even lying down, in the water, in mud or in boats. The wind often changes at daylight making the angles bad and distances marginal. I've hunted with a Winchester 21, didn't like it and felt I was putting the other hunters at risk. It has been my experience that double gun shooters wave their gun around too much during loading and reloading for the crowded conditions and hectic action of most blinds. Because you never know where that muzzle is going to be pointed and have to watch both the double gun shooter and the ducks, which means I won't be able to pay much attention to the ducks I have come to the conclusion to not push my luck in what can be a already dangerous environment. I will not duck hunt with a guy that uses a double in a duck blind.

Last edited by pooch; 01/22/17 08:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. I haven't done a lot of duck hunting, but I've done a fair amount of driven shooting--where you almost always have another "gun" to one side of you; usually both sides. Not to mention beaters often in sight and coming at you, and pickers-up behind you. You're pretty darned near surrounded! Yet the guns they don't allow are pumps and autos. One reason being that it's very easy to tell if a double is safe: When it's broken open. Much harder to tell on a pump or auto. And when the birds are coming hot and heavy, also easy to forget you have a loaded shell in the chamber.

The only advantage I can see to a pump or auto in a blind is that you can load them with the barrel pointing up, while you can only load a double with the barrel pointing down. So if you've only got one guy with a double and he's right handed, put him on the left end of the blind. His natural way of loading is with the gun pointed down and to his left. No one there. Much like the procedure my hunting partner of 40+ years and I have adopted--in addition to following all other safety precautions: I'm right handed; he's left handed. I always hunt to his left. That way our guns, in normal field carry position, are always pointed away from each other.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.