April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh Lomas), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#47053 07/05/07 06:15 PM
Dogfox Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From what I understand bismuth shot is in short supply and pricey. What's the next best shot for waterfowl hunting with old doubles? TX for your replies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm taking my ducks to a Federal Detox Center - you know, run by white coated hacks and enviro-do-gooders!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dogfox: To my knowledge, the only other non-toxic lead substitute widely "approved" for low-impact use in guns built before 1975 (give or take) is tungsten matrix (brand name Impact by Kent). Unfortunately, it too seems to have about doubled in price lately. Some have opened their choke(s) and shoot steel. The problem there is that modern steel loads are more effective than the first generation of steel because they're hot as hell and will eventually pound an old gun to pieces. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best Bismuth substitute found to date is, ....... lead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, I read all about the closing of the Bismuth factory in the thread a couple of weeks ago. Then someone at the local sporting goods store called to give me a "heads up" that their lead shells were all going up 25% as of July 1st. When I called Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart to stock up on Bismuth "before the shortage", they had plenty in stock and immediately shipped my $400 order. Prices were the same as listed in my Dec. '06 catalog. They also had plenty of Kent TM at the same price as Bismuth.

I also went by the local store and bought a couple of cases of dove loads just in case. I wonder if there is really any problem with the non-tox supply line or if we're just being "managed" into a panic by the ammunition industry.

Oh well, I certainly have plenty of shells now, just in case...Geo

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not really plotting against you"....my Mother

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are being "managed" and have been "managed."
If you don't believe this - your being "managed."
Things that go bump in the night, are sometimes really things that go bump in the night.
Btw, your mother was a smart person.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like there learning from the oil companys

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a fuel strike a few years ago here in Britain,The motorists boycotted the filling stations for a day or two and economised on their fuel use.Within the week it started a price cutting war at the fuel pumps.If you check your stocks you will find you probably have enough already to last the season.Of course you could always revert to lead and kill your quarry rather than just wounding it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell you been in the Moonshine again ?

RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Given the current metals market, I doubt we will see a drop in price soon. In spite of all the bad press, when other metal prices rise, lead rises also.

Metals are traded on the world market and what China does not want India will buy. It goes to the highest bidder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.