April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FallCreekFan, Lloyd3, fallschirmjaeger, KDGJ, Der Ami, Roundsworth), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#471781 02/08/17 01:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a text asking if I was still looking for a Linden stocked rifle. He knew that I had been looking to add a Linden rifle to my collection for some time. He also mentioned that it was a Hornet, which immediately took me back 30 some odd years when I was studying Monty Kennedys checkering book and trying to teach myself how to scratch up stocks with my dads old checkering tools. Well, with the help of Kennedy, Fisher, Shelhamer, Hearn, and the others in the book, I was able to teach myself to do a passable job of checkering.

Ive always had a soft spot for the Springfield 1922 trainer Hornet conversions. Michael Petrov once told me he tried to collect particular rifles from the individual craftsmen when he could. Whites Wundhammer as an example for him. Well for me, one of those rifles is the Linden stocked 1922 in Kennedys book.

Ive been looking off and on for that rifle for the last 30 odd years. I cant pass up a custom Springfield without checking, and 1922 Hornet is a popular search on gunbroker for me. So when my friend told me about a Linden Hornet, my first question was is it a 1922? In due time, pictures were sent, the connection was made, and I was able to bring home a rifle I had been looking for for over 30 years. Other than the addition of a side mount for the Zeiss scope, the rifle is as it is pictured in Kennedys book.

To say I am tickled is an understatement. I never really expected to find the rifle, much less for it to be in the condition it is after all these years. I cant wait to get some rounds down it and maybe get a ground hog or prairie dog or two with it.

Regards,
John

Last edited by gasgunner; 02/08/17 01:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bravo!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"WOW!" doesn't begin to do that justice but that's all I got.

WOW!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic, I hope to see a picture of you and your son at the range with it soon.
I am really happy for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is quite a rifle. I hope it shoots as well as it has been made.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a dandy for sure!
What is the screw behind the swivel stud? Do they both thread into the barrel? Is there an ebony, or horn oval inlet beneath them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely gorgeous gun! Nothing more rewarding than to fulfill a long time dream of owning a certain rifle! Especially when that rifle finally is found, and is everything you dreamed of!
I've been very lucky to do so occasionally, and the great feeling returns every time I hold them again! I'm sure it will be the same for you and this great gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is both a story and gun beyond belief. Great looking rifle and so much greater that you were able to have found something that you have looked for with only a glimmer of hope of finding. Given it's condition and provenance, I suspect the "critter" of your choice is in trouble. Beautiful rifle, I'm sure it will bring you many a happy memory and proves that we should never give up hope.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful rifle! I keep going back to look at the pics. If you were going to have just one good example, that's the one. ... nicely done!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations on getting that beautiful rifle.

Herschel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.