April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (ClapperZapper, Hal M Hare, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 215 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,005
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, hope it's ok to ask about a single barrel gun here as I'm not sure where else to ask about it.
A model 37 , .410 has just been acquired by a friend of mine, as far as I can tell it's an earlier model with the top lever above the hammer. It's not in bad shape and he's asked if it's worth a re black, service and general tidy up.
I believe they were made between 36 and 63 but have no idea when it was made as there's no numbers. Is the top lever with a rolled around end (think it's called a pig tail ?) An indication of age .
There's no sign of red paint in the lettering on the underside of the receiver so we're not sure if it's the" one to have"
What's the general opinion, are they a good reliable little gun ? It looks solid and I believe they were very popular , it's made in the USA but I can't remember what was stamped onto the barrel.
Any input/views would be gladly received and if it's not the place to ask with it being a single barrel, it's cool if the post is moved.
Thanks
Nick.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1952, I was 12 year old and I bought a 20 Ga. Model 37 Winchester. I used the gun until I was 20. I put the gun into service again when my kids were old enough to shoot and once again when my grandkids were old enough. The little gun has also helped a few neighbor kids to learn to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to use it my self to hunt birds or shoot skeet. So ... If your gun is still tight, I would have no problems shooting the gun.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I remember correctly, the pigtail toplever was dropped after the first year of production ('36-37) while the redlettering was dropped in the '40s. So, a pigtail gun should have had red lettering, at least at some point in its life. Also the blunt (bull nosed) forend evolved to a tapered style in the '40s.

A reblack wont help the value and may hurt it, so financially it's not worth it, but we're talking about a couple hundred dollars, so it's really up to his personal preferences.

Last edited by Gr8day; 02/21/17 12:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick, nice find in a way as I have been looking for a good example of a Model 37 for some time; just as a curiosity, as I don't think many were imported to the U.K.

This is what I have on the subject. The .410 model was introduced in 1940. If is lacks the depressed 'W' mark on the underside it is post 1948. They stopped making them in 1963.

Odd why they are scarce over here at the side of Harrington & Richardson's which turn up often. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Harrington & Richardson had an association with the English shotgun trade, from their licensed manufacturing in Worcester, Mass. of the Anson & Deeley hammerless back in the 1880s.

As for the Winchester Model 37, I doubt it would have a following if not for the Winchester name on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=El Garro]Hi, hope it's ok to ask about a single barrel gun here as I'm not sure where else to ask about it.
A model 37 , .410 has just been acquired by a friend of mine, as far as I can tell it's an earlier model with the top lever above the hammer. It's not in bad shape and he's asked if it's worth a re black, service and general tidy up.
I believe they were made between 36 and 63 but have no idea when it was made as there's no numbers. Is the top lever with a rolled around end (think it's called a pig tail ?) An indication of age .
There's no sign of red paint in the lettering on the underside of the receiver so we're not sure if it's the" one to have"

One of the better "Farmer Grade Garden Guns" out there. They were well made and hardly ever gave problems. The only part that went caput was the ejector/extractor which was offered for years by Cape Outfitters. I don't know Jeff's Outfitters may still have some in stock. The double barrel version is called Model 24.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Harrington & Richardson had an association with the English shotgun trade, from their licensed manufacturing in Worcester, Mass. of the Anson & Deeley hammerless back in the 1880s.

As for the Winchester Model 37, I doubt it would have a following if not for the Winchester name on it.

I heard H&R offered some real nice doubles around the Golden Age of Shotgunning. You're being little tough on little Model 37. I would take the Winchester 37 over H&R singles that were made until relatively recently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure Jagermeister... when you have to rent a Chinese .22 rifle and don't even own any double guns, a Winchester model 37 would be a huge step upward.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one and loved it. I used it to shoot pen raised birds when I was training my pointers

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Couldn't ask for a better trainer, The dimensions are very similar to the mdl 12 pump & make the transition smoother. I have one in each gauge less the 28 & they make great loaners for introducing a youngster into the field with a shotgun.

m-4

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.