March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, 1 invisible), 880 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473071 02/24/17 02:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has been decades since I bought a recoil pad and I know somethings have changed regarding compositions on the market now. What are your pad preferences for a field use gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pachmyr are very nice modern, recoil reducing pads of many varieties. See Brownell's or Midway Sports. Some people like to put "vintage" reproduction pads on their vintage shotguns. Two that come to mind that are used frequently are a Hawkins replica which I like and a Silvers replica which I think is just a heavy piece of rubber...not particularly recoil reducing, but vintage in appearance.

For a modern field gun I would definitely go with a Pachmyr...I have 3 guns with them in place. One thing to consider is the desired length of pull. If you want a short length, you might go to Galazan for their 1/2" pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you really want recoil reduction get a Kick-EEZ. Soft, but long lasting rubber compound called Sorbothane. Other pads will look better on a vintage gun, but I've yet to see one that absorbs recoil better.

https://kickeezproducts.com/shop/

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Most of my SxS's come with the stock checkered butt or the hard plates, and I leave them alone because they work for me. The two OU's that I have, I've switched out the stock hard rubber ones for the Pachmyr black sporting pads with the rounded insert at the top. Done correctly, they look very nice in my opinion as they have a nice textured finish.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

if the weight of the recoil pad affecting the balance of the gun is an issue I have found the Cervellati pads from Italy are a good option. They are more difficult to shape with than the hard rubber Pachmayr because they are softer but the weight savings on the but of the gun is outstanding. About a third of what hard rubber weighs for the same thickness

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=33

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hastings products look great, especially the solid red pad that looks like the London Guns Pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For modern pads. I like kick-eez or decelorator old english pads from both a recoil absorption and ease of installation standpoint. Limbsaver pads have great recoil absorbtion, but they dont grind as well.

For vintage style pads, the silver style pad is a perfect do anything pad for most any application. I like the ones that CSMC offers at $50 price point . They geind and butf very well and are offered in orange and red.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Galco and Kevins have a velcro leather pad with an oh so cushy insert inside. The limbsavers I had got sticky over time to the point they picked up leaves and debris. I second the Pachmeyer decelerator in old english! Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't want to count the number of different brands and shapes I've gone thru in the last two decades but over the past couple years I've been replacing everything with a two different Pachmayr pads. In particular a black 1/2" thick that is big enough to grid to fit anything. Brownells has a great selection with descriptions and #'s but not wonderful prices. I've been able to do some 'net shopping and get what I wanted for a substantial price reduction. By planning ahead I've found ebay to be a real source for need/price solutions.
I've come to not care for the mushy kinda pads at all. Besides being a PITA to grind they just don't do anything for me that I need. And they're all much thicker than what I have any use for these days.
JMO of course.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 02/25/17 11:31 AM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

For field use, where I'm not really interested in any cushioning effect, my choice is the Pachmayr Old English. It has a nice simulated leather texture and comes in a variety of sizes, thicknesses, and I think black and brown colors. It looks good and protects the buttstock.

Except for clay target work, I avoid the soft, sticky, clothes-grabbing Decelerator and Kick-Eez type pads. They can be tricky to grind if you haven't done it before.

Someone above said the Silvers type pads are just a big chunk of heavy, hard orange rubber. It's hard to argue with that, but they can look very good.

If one needs recoil reduction, the Hawkins-type reproductions as noted above are a nice choice. Though made of a firmer, non-tacky rubber, they nonetheless have a bit of flex and can add a nice touch to that old Smith or Fox.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.