May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, Fudd, CJ Dawe, Jimmy W, buckstix), 918 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,627
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47394 07/08/07 03:44 PM
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have Parker stock i want to get duplicated and has anyone had this done and was there any damage to the original stock?I have this stock i want duplicated that fits me perfectly but has a repair and want to have duplicated if it will not be damaged.Who does a great job? Thanks in advance, Bobby

No it will not hurt the old pattern stock, I can not say the same for the people you ship it with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one done by Wenig's in MO.
No damage to the original stock.
Take BIG AL's advice and pack it well.

Regards. Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Contact Craig Libhart at Susquehanna Stockworks in Pennsylvania. Craig works with Mike Kokolus and they can reproduce your Parker butt stock exactly. Craig can also build you a custom Parker butt stock that will fit you and your shooting style exactly. Craig's phone number is 717-367-3414 OR 717-333-0202. Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would call Shane Thompson and talk to him about the project. His number is 208-547-0383.

I always tell people they should expect the stock to come back in a different condition than when it leaves your house. There are some things you can do to minimize marks on the pattern stock, but don't expect it to come back exactly the same. It all depends on how picky you are and how closely you anylize the stock before and after. For most folks' inspection it can be "the same," but it won't be under close inspection. And of course a lot depends on the original stock too. Call Shane and talk to him about it and he can give you details.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

The tracer can make light scratches in the finish of the original stock. The stock has to have extensions glued on to grip onto by the duplicator. Some evidence of glue may still be left behind. All the above are very minor and as posted above you almost have to look for them to see them if cleaned up well. No stress is put on your pattern stock in the duplication so mo harm but the tracer has to pressed firmly onto the surface to get the exact copy that you are looking for. Pack well, use heavy box, bubble wrap, two or three layers of heavy cardboard to make the box very strong. Pay the freight and make it a heavy, strong and safe package.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, I can see how the butt end of the pattern (old stock) would be fastened into the machine, but can't figure out how the head is. If a block of wood is glued into the opening that the receiver fits into, then how does the duplicator's stylus follow the insides?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave-

I have never driven a duplicator on a 2 piece, so I can't help you there.

BBman-
As I posted before, a lot of it depends on yoru piece of wood. Depends how hard it is and how it is finished. I have seen some stocks get pretty marked up. Saw a Dakota stock one time that was taped up very well, but it was a fairly soft piece of wood and you could see marks on. But most good pieces of wood, especially with a hard finish such as epoxy, are only going to have minor marks

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Different styles of inletting demand different types of holding fixtures. Fajen, Inc. Custom shop used wooden blocks glued onto the ends of both buttstock and forend if needed. The inletting of a forend/buttstock is then cut up to the block. You must make sure that the block also allows for side detail clearance for the cutter. Any undercuts are done via woodruff cutters especially made for that application. The wooden blocks are then cut off and inletting closed by the same is removed by chisel. I use this method for all of my pattern prep for carving. You must make sure that you have enough wood (for O.D. of the metal drivers)in order for the metal to not split out the hard work in making the holding fixture. As usual more complete information comes from experience at carving. You learn what works and what doesn't by doing. The suggestions of the men and companies above are good avenues for consideration.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the great info! The stock is a straight grip in excellent condition except for a small repair. The wood is figured dense, hard American walnut finished in oil.It has a Hawkins pad but i am going with a checkered butt,same length and pitch. Bobby

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.