May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, buckstix, 1 invisible), 688 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,609
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The common practice is to cover the entire stock with electrical tape which is soft and rubbery. I haven't seen any scratches result from this no matter who did the work. Also two blocks of wood are glued to the butt and action area. The glue is hard sticking but soft so is peeled off with no damage. The forearm is actually harder to do than the butt in many cases.

I sell wood on this site and would be happy to suggest some turners if you like.

Pete
peterb@coinet.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the stock machinists that I used, would glue with hot-melt which allows for easy removal of the fixturing block at the head of the buttstock. He overtapes with blue masking tape to protect the original finish of the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay Mr. Chuck, who is your man of choice for turning and his cost ?

Would also appreciate hearing from you as well Mr. Pete. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best price and fastest turnaround I ever got for turning was from a fellow named Russ Wilson, 541-846-7787. The job was very satisfactory.

I believe he was one of 4 people Pete recommneded in a post several years ago.

I've had a few dozen turned and the only bad experience I ever had was when Fajen mis-communicated my numbers to the shop floor and I got cast-on instead of cast-off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I've tried a number of the recommendations that have been posted here over the years. Some had excellent work, some not so good, and all but one have been disappointing in terms of following thru with their promised delivery. In a few cases, I had to simply ask to have my parts and blanks back since their had been no contact and their commited date had long passed months before. The best work I had done cost quite a bit more than most here have paid, but I was more than pleased to pay it. His delivery time was long passed his commitment delivery though. I always ask the craftsman for his schedule and never push for my requested date. I figure if he makes the original commitment, he would be more likely to be on time. Apparently, not so. Also, I've always allowed twice the committed date before requesting my parts and blanks back. All of the stock machinists have then rushed to complete my job. So...I'm kinda reluctant to put others in the same situations I've gotten into.

I haven't used them since he moved to New Mexico, but I have nothing but praise for Treebone. Yes he is more expensive than some, but he sure gets it right. I know Ken Hurst has used him in the past, perhaps he had a different experience then I've had? Seems as if there is no wait time problems at all with him!

Sidelock
Sidelock

YES, George Peterson (owner) of Treebone is fast and good ! I have used him on a number of jobs without a problem. However, he only has patterns for single shot rifles. He will duplicate shotgun stocks if you have the pattern. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

My recommendations depend on the particular job. For an inexpensive rifle job, Richard's Microfit 818-767-6097 does fairly good work for under $100 and is fairly quick if the stock is a common one. Chuck does 8 at a time and does a LOT of stocks per day. If a pattern gets a chip out somewhere, this may not be caught right off and has been condemned by some who got a piece that needed extra care. He rarely does two piece stocks. Good quality for the money.

Now for refined work, extra money is paid. John Vest 541-923-8898 is about 6 weeks out for does magnificent work at about $270 for a rifle copy. Hoenig machine quality and he has some magnificent Earl Milliron classic patterns. He does two piece also for a bit more. A bit of finish inletting is required, but not much.

Keith Kercher 541-617-9299 will do finish stocks and is very quick. I believe he uses Gene Similian to do the rough cut out work. I am guessing the finish price not counting wood will run about $1200. Keith is great at metal work for doubles and is very quick.

Gene Similian :970-641-1126 Hoenig Machine
Ed Shulen: 719-846-2301 Don Allen Machine
Ed and Gene are in Colorado. Both run in the $400 range for two piece stocks and require a bit but not much inletting.

Russ Wilson 541-846-7787 Hoenig machine about $250 fit to metal.
Ray Randall 541-771-4538 Hoenig machine $150 to cut out, $250 fit to metal. He is setting up his shop so I don't know if he is taking jobs yet.

You need to contact each person for time. It varies. Costs also change so contact each person for the up-to-date cost. Costs do not include wood.

Beautiful wood can be had in the $300 range including English. Look around.

I send email photos of wood if any are needed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.