April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Fudd, jake van dyke, ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am wondering if the spread of a shotshell is logarithmic? The reason I ask is I have a pattern board that only holds a 36"x36" piece of paper so I plan on using a 30" circle at 30 yards. Would that be equivalent to a 40" circle at 40 yards, practically and/or theoretically? Could I make the same assumptions about the choke size?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pattern the gun is the best way. If the shot string is above the speed of sound then the shot is going against a near vertical "wall" of compressed air. The shot string will close and slow very rapidly. Even the fastest load is subsonic somewhere around 20 yards. Then the normal flat plate drag laws associated with subsonic flight take over. That is usually an expansion of one inch per yard of travel. It's extremely hard to calculate because the shot coming from the barrel is very irregular and will make for a large and irregular bow wave. The speed of sound varies with the temperature so the the time spent for the shot to remain supersonic can vary. You are dealing with an irregular vehicle (shot group) and a quick change of temperature change from shotgun barrel to ambient traveling in the trans sonic speed range. Given the variables patterning the gun is the best way to get the information you want.

Last edited by pooch; 03/04/17 01:20 PM.
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry but I only understand about half of what you have written regarding supersonic and subsonic and the impact each has on the pattern. When you wrote 'pattern the gun is the best way', are you suggesting to test it at logarithmic distances i.e.. 10, 20, 40 yards? I'm not sure what impact shot string has on the pattern?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All about drag when a projectile comes back through the sound barrier and passes through its own shock wave in a way. More a problem for long range target shooters. A 7.62mm. military bullet comes back through the sound barrier somewhere around the 900 to 1,000 yard mark and gets very upset and unstable before it settles down again. I've put them all in the black at 900 yards and then had a job finding the target when dropping back to 1,000. Shotgun patterns are 3 dimentional and as Pooch says, each pellet will be a slightly different shape and even travelling at a slightly different speed even after a few yards so it is very difficult to predict mathematically. Interesting question none the less. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget logs. Just pattern the gun. Experiment with the shot load you are most likely to use and compare, an analog solution, but it is not logarithmic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,

I can't answer that question for you, but I can tell you that in my experience you will learn a lot more from patterning at distances shorter than 40 yards than you will from not patterning at all. You can learn a lot at 30 yards and less.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan is right. A lot of bird shooting is less than 40 yards so I think you learn a lot by patterning at distances that you actually shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan is right. Pattern the gun at ranges you expect to shoot. That will tell you if you are going to succeed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, this s a very good question. Unfortunately, the answer is complex. Fortunately, Dr. A C. Jones addressed this question in his book "Sporting Shotgun Performance." You can get an intuitive idea of performance/pattern comparisons by "eye-ball integration" of patterns. However, it would be more worthwhile to use the shotgun insights program to generate statistically valid data.

Briefly, patterns have a Rayleigh distribution (you can use a normal distribution with only a small loss of accuracy) from muzzle until the shot hits the ground. That said, pattern can be calculated up and down the range once it is established. The fly in the ointment is that the diameter of the effective area of the pattern blooms for some distance (influenced by choke) and then withers as the number of pellets becomes insufficient to cover the ever expanding pattern area.

The expansion is not a log function. The following estimate is not too far off: 10 yds to 20 yds - double, 20 yds to 30 yds -double, 30 yds to 40 yds - 1.5X, and 40 yds to 50 yds - 1.5X. Keep in mind that this does not give you effective diameter, rather linear area.

Hope that helps some.

DDA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.