May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (smlekid, L. Brown), 990 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,543
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I'd trust the reading from a gun dealer in your state on this, rather than a lawyer.

That is REALLY bad advice. Find a local attorney, preferably one who deals in estates, and pay him for his advice. Yours is a fairly simple straight forward question which can be easily researched and answered. That way you can rest easy and not have to worry.

Jay Gardner

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A poster who shall remain nameless is dreaming a dream. Anyone who has a major collection of double guns that his wife doesn't know how to handle is a fool if he still has them at the time of his death. My basic "dream" is to be present at my estate sale, living, breathing, and drinking from a glass. Unless we are taken unexpectedly by "the big one", we should be slowly selling this stuff off as we get less able to enjoy and use it. By age 75 or 80, I hope to be rid of all pump guns, automatic shotguns, all but a couple of handguns, and most of the bolt action rifles and falling blocks. By 80 or 85, I plan on owning no more than fifty or sixty double guns, mostly 28s and .410s, maybe a few 20s, since the big guns will be hard to handle. By 90, I plan to be dead, with my wife only saddled with the responsibility of getting rid of maybe forty or fifty smallbore double guns. Doesn't sound like a big problem to me!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leaving your shotguns in a Will to someone in your own State or even another State doesn't violate any Federal laws that I'm aware of. That was the question here. Some States do have fussy gun control rules which might require tracking of title through a FFL, but I don't think of North Carolina as being one of them. I think Dave is fine with what he's doing, and if the local lawyer who drew his Will okayed the bequest, I'm sure he'll have no problem...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd bet that the state and Feds have all the information needed on their websites.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd do what your attorney said: Just give them to the guy. That way you will know he got them. Shouldn't be any law in your state that says you can't sell them to a private owner, anyway. You might want to ask the guy first if you might be able to borrow one in the future. That would be nice if you wanted to shoot them again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The focus of this thread has been the legality of a transfer of firearms upon death via will or trust. No mention of tax consquences. Transfer of assets to someone other than a spouse and children would normally be a taxable event with both state and feds subject to the limits each sets. Taxes consequences are to me the bigger issue of the two. Remember it was the tax violations that did in Al Capone :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

A transfer by inter vivos gift or by inheritance would not be a taxable event as to income tax. The Gift tax exemption is 1 million dollars. Estate tax unified credit is a bunch more than that, at least till 2010. Dave would have to have a whole lot of guns for taxes to be an issue, IMHO...Geo

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.