May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, azgreg, 1 invisible), 264 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,566
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ed good #474789 03/12/17 06:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

...right up to the point you get knocked the f out.

ed good #474791 03/12/17 06:48 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thank goodness for slip on pads and comb raisers...they keep lots of guns stocks from being butchered....

Last edited by ed good; 03/12/17 06:51 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #474792 03/12/17 07:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Why do you worry so much about wood being butchered when you do something worse to actions with your acetylene torch?

What a hypocrite.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/12/17 07:20 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
ed good #474793 03/12/17 07:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greek God, Huh. That's what we like about you Eugene, your modest to a fault. smile

Jerry V Lape #474817 03/12/17 10:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Stan,
I think that premounting a gun obviates the need for best shotgun fit. But competing in FITASC sporting clays or wild bird hunting convinces me a well fit gun fit really helps a lot. What I don't understand is how it ever came about to have premounted guns in any shotgun competition. It takes away such a nice portion of the skills required to be the best shooter.

Absolutely not. You might want to consider the tens of thousands of $ in a pigeon shoot purse if you are interested on knowing the why of it happening.

just a thot

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
ed good #474845 03/13/17 11:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jerry V.
I'm not a great shooter, never will be either.
But to me the whole beauty of watching a really good shot,hitting flying targets is the lovely fluid action of the mount, swing n follow through.
Its lovely to watch....pre mounted leaves half the skill out, I think.
What ever the purse of a Pigeon shoot,I think the winner should be the bloke who can get his gun up,swing well & hit whatever is the target.
Taking out the mount seems to me like taking half the skill involved away.
The scores probably go up, but I don't see that means better, controlled shooting.
you have one too,Dr Wonko, smile
cheers
franc

Franc Otte #474852 03/13/17 12:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
The scores probably go up, but I don't see that means better, controlled shooting.
you have one too,Dr Wonko, smile
cheers
franc

Does the term "non sequitur" ring a bell? confused

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
ed good #474871 03/13/17 01:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't pre mounted make it easier?..perhaps not.Just thinking aloud I guess
I just meant You "to have another day" as well, Dr W
cheers
franc

Wonko the Sane #474950 03/14/17 05:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Stan,
I think that premounting a gun obviates the need for best shotgun fit. But competing in FITASC sporting clays or wild bird hunting convinces me a well fit gun fit really helps a lot. What I don't understand is how it ever came about to have premounted guns in any shotgun competition. It takes away such a nice portion of the skills required to be the best shooter.

Absolutely not. You might want to consider the tens of thousands of $ in a pigeon shoot purse if you are interested on knowing the why of it happening.

just a thot

Dr.WtS

I have to disagree, Jerry. I would say that having a shotgun that fits is every bit as important for premounting as it is for low gun. There is SO much more involved in fitting to shoot to point of aim than length of pull.

That said, and I may start a fire, but paid for gunfitting is not something I would ever suggest to anyone who is willing to do the work themselves. It ain't magic, all it takes is the means to shoot lots of patterns you can look at quickly. I've posted this before, but when I started sporting clays seriously I began to fit the gun to me, to shoot to proper point of impact. I didn't care what the measurements were, I just wanted it to give me a perfect 60-40 print. I built up the comb, kept lengthening the pull, and I achieved what I thought was a perfect fit, then shot the crap out of it. About a year later some friends invited me to a fitting session, so I went, mostly out of curiosity. What resulted was that not one measurement I received after shooting the try gun for over a half hour was over 1/8" off my measurements on my gun at home. Some were exact. I actually believe anyone with a modicum of sense can make any gun shoot to the point of impact they want, within reason, by themselves. and maybe even more accurately than by a fitter because you can take much more time with it, over days and weeks.

I'll save my thoughts about why remounting is disliked by many for another day. Thanks for the comments, Jerry.

Whats going' on here, Wonk? Deja vu, all over again. smile

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
ed good #474953 03/14/17 07:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun fitting for me would be an exercise if futility for the fact that I shoot more than fifteen different guns at present. And I almost always shoot low gun... sometimes pre-mounted at trap. I'm not a serious competitive shooter but I do like to break a lot of clays when I go to a shoot. I'll usually bring a minimum of four different guns to shoot - different gauges, different dimensions, different barrel lengths, and different weights. I simply re-teach myself how I must mount each different gun I shoot. None of mine are newer than 1935 and some as old as 1880. The thing that is hardest for me to get used to is a LOP that is too short, say 13 3/4" or less....
But I do break some clays and I do have a lot of fun and I sometimes even surprise myself, both in a good way and sometimes in a not so good way.

Most of you are in the position of the 'serious shooter' and that's a good thing... it gives us casual shooters something to strive for.

Having all of my guns altered to fit me would probably break the bank.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.