May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, steve voss, LGF, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 293 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,158
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

True that.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I did get people to look... 360 views!

My goal is to remove as much oil as I can to make sure and repairs (epoxy, wood glue, or accraglass) bonds properly. When it is on the inside, the color of the wood doesn't matter much, on the outside it does and you have to be creative when re-staining.
I have always been amazed by the true professionals that can take a stock with a visible crack that has an oil stain and make it disappear. Other than hiding it in checkering, the best I have been able to do is either hit the crack lightly with a checkering tool, stain the stock and then use clear epoxy to build the area back. Then sand the fill smooth. or sometime I might use a little wood bleach, but I hate to do that.
I have tried the purple power stuff and it does work somewhat, but always worried about residue... leads me back to acetone/alcohol bath.
Jerry

Last edited by Gerald A. Mele; 03/14/17 08:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that you received the answers to your first question, maybe some will chime in how to hide repairs besides inside the checkering borders. How do you hide the little black glue line of the repair and why does it always turn black?

So many guns, so little time!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.