Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47402 07/08/07 05:24 PM
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

Need low recoil shells for 12 Bore, 20 Bore, 28 Bore and 410. Using in SxS english game guns. Between RST or Polywad which have the shells with the least recoil and exactly which ones would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gomiata,
Unless there is a great weight difference between the wads, or unless one gives a higher velocity than the other, there will be no recoil difference. Every manufacturer claims THEIR wad or powder or shell or primer will produce higher velocity, better patterns, shorter shot strings, kill farther, dive deeper and come up drier and of course, produce less recoil than any other. It's ALL bull....! They'll often hide behind the "felt" recoil bush, but it's still B.S. Recoil is the product of the weight of the ejecta(powder, shot and wad) and the velocity against the weight of the gun. Use the loads you want, out of the books, giving the velocity and pressure you desire, with the components listed in the data. If there were ONE wad shape or material that would magically defy physics, all the wads would be made the same way.
You'll get the least recoil by using less shot and lower velocity. 7/8 oz. of shot @ 1100-1150 fps, in 12 ga. will be very pleasant. Trust the books for the pressure you want(pressure will also not affect recoil).

Last edited by Jim Legg; 07/08/07 06:34 PM.

> Jim Legg <

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Polywad has a great reputation and a quality product. There vintager line is truly low pressure and the shot charges are light- equating to low recoil. They do in house pressure testing so you can trust these loads in vintage guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why don't you try them both and decide for yourself?
I tried RST and stuck with them. Never saw a reason to switch except to reloads to save money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used most of the entire Polywad line at some time or other, and have been very pleased with everything they produce. The low pressure "Vintager" line is great for perhaps fragile old guns, I have used them in at least a dozen different guns with great results and zero problems. In addition, they always have what you need IN STOCK, unlike other possibles sources. I also like their "Doublewide" spreader loads, at the price of some increase in pressure over their Vintagers. They work great when you don't want to open up the chokes on those older guns. I have no connection with the company, just like their stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would echo Alder adder's post and I dont think you can go wrong with either one. I happen to use RST and a hunting partner likes Poly Wad's Vintagers.

I realize you are not looking for 16 ga ammo, but below are comparisons for the two manufacturers according to a post revdocdrew made last December from the 16 ga site. I believe the information came directly from the manufacturers in response to a survey someone on the 16 ga site was making.

According to that post for a 16 ga 1 oz load the RST shells were a little slower at 1145 fps vs Poly Wad's Spred-R @ 1200 fps, but the RST also stated their pressure at 7600 vs Poly Wad's 9000. The 16 ga Poly Wad Vintager 7/8 oz load was stated to be 1200 fps at a pressure of 6500.

If you call RST on the phone 570-553-1651 they will tell you the exact pressures for any shell they manufacturer, and I believe they also test in house and have an outside party test their loads. They say the paper shells have lower pressure.

I am sure Poly Wad will give you the same information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used the Polywad Vintagers and Doublewides in my older guns for several years now, and have found that the Vintager loads pattern very tightly, no matter what chokes I have. They'll kill doves alright but you'd better do your part in holding it on them. I have a hard time hitting the close ones with low pressure loads. Conversely, the doublewide low pressure spreader loads are murder on kick'em up quail but about useless beyond 25 yards, again no matter what the choke is. I've never used any other low pressure products like RST, but I expect the ballistics are similar...Geo

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not assume paper has a lower pressure than plastic- we all know the variables.

I have been providing Eley for several years and even they are coy about providing pressure info but do state they are CIP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

doesnt anyone use gamebore?

gunut
APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gamebore and B&P are good companies- only problem with UK and european shells is consistantly being able to get the product. B&P had a presence at the Southern SxS with a new distrubitor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.