April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Replacement, Marks_21, rocky mtn bill), 1,219 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of "low end" Spanish guns, the market is saturated right now, if you check Simpson's inventory. Lot's of pre-DIARM medium weight game guns, mainly boxlocks. Their prices have dropped 30% over the last year or two. Same with Field Grade German guns. Now would be the time to buy any Grandkids their first Starter Double.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/02/17 04:47 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Ken61 #476897 04/02/17 02:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Speaking of "low end" Spanish guns, the market is saturated right now, if you check Simpson's inventory. Lot's of pre-DIARM medium weight game guns, mainly boxlocks. Their prices have dropped 30% over the last year or two. Same with Field Grade German guns. Now would be the time to buy any Grandkids their first Starter Double.

Regards
Ken

The Simpson Ltd. is good place to go if one wants HVA Mauser sporter or inexpensive SxS. I see they sold decent East German Merkel Modell 8 or $695. These were not inexpensive shotguns costing about $1300 in early 90s. Few years back someone imported bunch of sporting rifles and SxSs from Europe most likely Sweden or another Scandinavian country. I say Scandinavian because there were many HVA rifles and shotguns plus some German and Spanish stuff. I agree the prices are significantly down for now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't Arrieta build guns for Orvis?

pooch #476905 04/02/17 03:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
Didn't Arrieta build guns for Orvis?

Yes in 80s, 90s and perhaps later. Beretta, SKB and early on Ruger made some O/Us for them. The Rugers had blackened receivers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had always thought Arrieta would be one of the survivors. Which of the Spanish gun builders are still making guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

pooch,
I'm certain that AYA is for sure. I think that Grulla is out. I agree, I too thought Arrieta would survive. Now I'm going to look deeper into that one I've had my eyes on at Fieldsport.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 04/09/17 07:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: Ken61

Regards
Ken

The Simpson Ltd. is good place to go if one wants HVA Mauser sporter or inexpensive SxS. I see they sold decent East German Merkel Modell 8 or $695. These were not inexpensive shotguns costing about $1300 in early 90s. Few years back someone imported bunch of sporting rifles and SxSs from Europe most likely Sweden or another Scandinavian country. I say Scandinavian because there were many HVA rifles and shotguns plus some German and Spanish stuff. I agree the prices are significantly down for now.

Their buyer works out of Sweden. He travels all around Europe collecting guns, and when he has enough for a shipment he sends it over. Since many countries tax each gun, the older or lower condition ones often come over. Many were originally retailed in Sweden. Quite a few come from Spain. A popular rifle is the Remington rolling block that was sold to the Swedish Army, but is finding its way back here via Simpson. They also usually have quite a few Lugers.

Bob took me down to the basement once, literally racks and racks of doubles..

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan Moore, of William Larkin Moore, in the SSM article credited the demise of Arrieta with the economic collapse worldwide. I have a bit different take, for what it is worth. Arrieta, like many Spanish makers who are in financial straits, were makers of S x S guns only. When the favor of S x S guns waned, as it certainly has worldwide, their market began to dry up.

In contrast, look at makers like Beretta, who began building O/U guns many, many years ago, as the market demanded. Many Italian makers have done so, and are doing quite well. Not as well as they'd like, certainly, but well enough that they have survived the economic hard times and are positioned to grow their market share as things improve.

Some would applaud Arrieta for sticking to their game plan of building only fine S x S guns, mostly those enthusiasts of S x S guns who would never own an O/U gun. But, now another builder of S x S guns is likely gone. OTOH, had they diversified their line to include O/U guns, caught their share of that market, they might well still be around to build the fine Arrieta S x Ss so many admire and enjoy. So, ...... was it not a mistake, in hindsight, to continue to build only S x S doubleguns, and "go down swinging"?

I am a row crop farmer, and have been so all my adult life. I have to diversify to meet the demands of the market, in order to remain solvent. Had I decided to grow only cotton all my life I would have been broke and out of business so long ago it would be just a distant memory. Diversification is just good business. To those who espouse the mantra "Do only one thing and do it well" I say, fine .......... until you go broke. Then, you can take hollow pride in the fact that you "did it your way". But, there is absolutely no reason that a company, big or small, cannot do two things as similar as building the two predominant types of doubleguns well, under the same roof. Too many others have proven that it can be done successfully.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 04/09/17 07:52 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For an example of a SxS maker who diversified and survived successfully in the lower high-end market, consider David McKay Brown. In 1992, he realized that the market for his round action SxS was dwindling. He needed a second offering to remain viable. He borrowed 150,000 and created an O/U prototype. The new model took off and now represents the majority of his production. His vision was rewarded as he remains in business to this day, quite successfully.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent example, Mr. Owen.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.