May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, smlekid, Ken Georgi), 300 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,730
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fewer and fewer users. To add insult to injury the prices for their new guns are same on used prices for very good Italian guns and English guns. It's tough to compete with "English speakers and mafia movies plus spaggetti & meatballs". While I do not many appreciate fine Spanish wine, olives, red oranges, and aged cheeses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
The combined effect of EU firearms, environmental and agricultural regulations have shrunk the gun trade and are in part responsible for failures such as that of Arrieta.

In their antigun fervour the EU legislators did not notice that one (among many other) effect of their regulation was to deny gun owners even elementary consumer protection.

Sending an unaccompanied gun across EU borders, even for judicially endorsed warranty work, is so hard as to be practically impossible. The situation is symptomatic of regulations in other areas, ie establishing a shooting range, dog tail docking, consumption of game meat, the list is endless.

The end result is a poacher's paradise and a buraucrat's dream.

Slowly but surely they're winning. It might take years or even decades, but they'll win.

Lack of orders, more like lack of enthusiasm, more like, 'Why bother."

But I'm not only blaming Europe, look at our creeping in gun laws in more and more States.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
For your information in 1988 Beretta were a major shareholder in Perazzi that saved them from going broke , plus they have had a number of hiccoughs since 1988 'skin of the teeth ' comes to mind.
Anglo Spanish Imports (ASI) UK was founded by two wealthy farming brothers who wanted a Holland & Holland Royal , but didn't like the price or the delivery / build time , so they took one to Spain to AyA and their new gun was delivered 5 weeks later. Since then the AyA No1 & No2 have been stalwarts of British shooting community.EJ Churchill, William Evans , William Powell old name famous English gunmakers are now having guns made in Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"there isn't much that can be improved on either design of SXS gun, assuming it is a well built copy."

I will mention a few things that could have been introduced to improve the two basic designs, the boxlock and sidelock SXS:

Replaceable hook and bite "shoes" to bring the barrels back on face when they inevitably shake loose. They would also facilitate extra barrel fitting.

Easily replaceable barrel tubes in properly dimensioned monoblocs to avoid the sleeving or rebarreling dilemma.

Stock bolting to facilitate servicing and restocking the boxlock.

Reinventing the ribs for less weight and unseen rust.

Doing away with V springs.

All are innovations that would not change the "character" of the SXS. They would make owning a SXS so much easier, and cheaper. No maker could overcome the inertia of simple and inexpensive copycatting, now they are reaping the results of that inertia. The Arrieta situation is a symptom.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 04/12/17 04:23 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Stan
They just don't have the innovation and vision that the Italians do. They're content to copy. That can only last so long.

SRH

Stan,
If you compare a Beretta S series from the 1950s to a Silver Pig, about the only inovation you will clearly see is that far fewer human hands built the pig, and they were less skilled hands, at that. If you try to compare an ASEL from the 1950s, you will find that Beretta doesn't build anything that compares to it, and hasn't for some time. Internally, there hasn't been any revolution in Beretta boxlock O/Us that I am aware of.
The Spanish built copies of A&D boxlocks and Holland pattern sidelocks that ranged from middling to spectacular. I'm going to guess that the average buyer for a type of gun like that isn't looking for a bunch of "innovation" but, wants a sound copy of the same tried and true English versions of either of those guns. If I could afford to place an order at Purdeys or Hollands (I can't) I wouldn't be looking for any innovation. I want it to look pretty much like they did from between the wars.
How many people, at this late date, are actually in the market for either a new Spanish or English pattern boxlock, or sidelock? It is a diminishing number.
I think it a bit unfair to say it is simple lack of innovation that doomed the Spanish gun. There are many factors involved, and I seriously doubt many of their clients from the past expected innovation from the standard pattern copies of the English SXS guns they had produced for so long. Some may have asked for (and, got) choke tubes or steel shot proof, but, there isn't much that can be improved on either design of SXS gun, assuming it is a well built copy.

Best,
Ted

When I said innovation and vision I meant as opposed to copying designs of others. Which of Beretta guns are direct copies of other companies' guns? I do not know of any. As to the 1950s guns being the same design as today, nothing wrong with staying with a design that works great and that lasts. The opposite of that is Ford. Though I run Ford trucks on the farm, it infuriates me how they constantly change things on their trucks instead of sticking with something tried and true.

Lack of innovation and vision isn't the only thing that is causing the demise of the great Spanish unmaking industry, but I believe it was a large part of it. Changing with the times and using technology instead of man hours to build guns was not a bad thing for the industry in general. To those who had rather lay claim to a hand built gun, I can see that it is an anathema. Hand built guns are fine, if that's what you want, but they come at a cost most of the world will never pay. I'd rather see a company change with the times, as many such as Beretta has, than become insolvent because they can't sell their products for what they need to, to make a profit. As long as the Italians turn out O/U guns as good as most of them are, more power to the CNC machines. Take a look in the English gunmakers' shops and you'll see more and more machines replacing action filers, barrel borers, etc. There is really no other sensible choice for them.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One needs to look at typical modern gun buyer to see the situation. Most modern shooters come from "blue collar" backgrounds far removed from fancy custom grade SxS stuff. When it comes to more expensive guns to them pinnacle of form and function are represented by either O/U or self-loading shotgun. I have joned them by buying my first semi-auto. While most would pick 12ga or 20ga I went for grandpas 16ga. While not as versatile as 12ga it is kind of kool like old cars with glorious sounding horns and chromed bumpers. When I asked Englishman shopping at US gun store about English game guns. Those made are just for the wealthy classes. For me end of what we used to love as old USA ended when Walmart came to every small town. I have now re-institued by New Years resolution not to shop at Walmart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although some might consider it heresy, my opinion is that the Spaniards should have added factory choke tubes 15-20 years ago, when the rest of the world did so...

gold40

gold40 #477675 04/12/17 11:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
Although some might consider it heresy, my opinion is that the Spaniards should have added factory choke tubes 15-20 years ago, when the rest of the world did so...

gold40

They did in late 80s in certain models (most game guns had fixed chokes) of Ugartechea made for Parker Hale. I have seen two samples. One 12ga game gun with straight grip w/checkered butt plus choke tubes second was 10ga PG rubber recoil pad choke tubes. Some Zabalas for American Arms? also came with choke tubes.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.