May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, David Williamson, Hammergun, buckstix, Jusanothajoe, 1 invisible), 733 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,610
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hit two small gun shows in the Allentown, PA area yesterday. Like most small shows, they had the usual sprinkling of local dealers, with some hobbiests thrown in. I got to talk to a guy who is about to publish a book on H&R guns (which suggests the prices are about to jump, like they always seem to once a book comes out and sellers can point to the definitive opinion of the author that this is one of only XX of this particular variation, greatly enhancing its value). I also got to look at fossils, bentwood rockers, pottery, jewelry, assorted other garbage and even a few guns.

All of this is an introduction to the high point of the day, which was an E.M. Reilly breechloading percussion single shot rifle in .38 caliber on the most interesting action I've seen in quite a while. I was looking at a 16 gauge Jeffries BLNE on the dealer's table and we got to talking about British guns. He then said I had to see this if I liked British stuff and pulled out the rifle.

I've never seen anything remotely like it. The action opened by turning a straight bolt that stuck down directly in front of the trigger guard. Turning the bolt also turned the barrel, unlocking two lugs on the breech face. The bolt was then pushed forward, which also pushed the barrel forward, exposing the chamber. The cartridge (I assume a paper cartridge with a bullet of some kind) was inserted and the bolt pulled to the rear and turned back down, pulling the barrel back to the breech and locking it. To fire the rifle, you then put a percussion cap on the nipple, cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger. To lock the bolt and keep it from turning when you didn't want it to turn, you pushed the front of the trigger guard forward and a little pin on the face of the trigger guard locked into a corresponding hole in the bolt handle.

The gun was in good condition, with no pitting and only minor surface patina, mostly on the buttplate. The engraving was still sharp and clear. Wood was in great shape. Bluing had turned brownish, but was still even and dark.

I'd have been tempted to bring this one home if it hadn't had a $2300 price tag on it. Maybe that's a fair price for what might be a unique firearm, but it's more than I'd pay unless I'd decided to begin collecting oddball breechloaders from the percussion era.

Even so, I got to see something special and talk to its owner for 20 minutes or so. He clearly enjoyed his find, was enthusiastic about it and delighted to share what he knew.

And that kind of experience is why I go to gun shows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the neat thing about small shows, dealers that may not do the big shows and more hobbiests are likely to have tables. It is usually smaller crowds, a slower pace and more time to converse as well. But, like any show, you never know what is going to be on a table or walk thru the door.

Jack K

Sidelock
Sidelock

It only takes one gun to make a great gun show.

sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get tired when I hear all the show dealers are crooks. That is like someone saying the Vegas show prices are all rediculous. You don't know what is there until you go and look for yourself. There are deals out there that are fantastic. There are guns out there that are neat and rare beyond belief. But you'll never know if you stay home and curse the darkness. Now if I can just find that Teddy Kennedy Beanie Babie to complete my collection...

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.