April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (welder, andygt, skeettx, Tim in PA, 2 invisible), 1,263 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just got back home from examining the gun.

It is what it is...

It was difficult to get a chamber length measurement because of Fox's tight and tapered chambers, so I can't comment on the chamber length.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
I just got back home from examining the gun.

It is what it is...

It was difficult to get a chamber length measurement because of Fox's tight and tapered chambers, so I can't comment on the chamber length.

Believe there was no notation on the card so it is probably 2 3/4". How nasty is that pitting? Ps. Looks like a damp basement gun to me and I've seen more then a few of those over the years. PS. All numbers match on the gun. It is indeed an HE.

Last edited by tut; 04/14/17 06:31 PM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

To answer my friend Doug Mann's query about the grade, there are people who are privy to the "list" of HE serial numbers. Apparently, this serial number is on the "list". In addition, all board members and ex board members of the Fox Collectors Association possess a complete computer file of the Fox order cards for graded guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Bill, I was kind've aware of the list but I did not see an photos of the serial # on the frame. I may have missed it in my advanced age. :-)

As it stands now there isn't a lot of money left for a professional restoration IMHO.

Last edited by Doug Mann; 04/15/17 09:29 AM.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I owned this gun, I wouldn't be interested in a professional restoration. It would get restored on my dining room table.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not restore it either. Preservation and a gentle touch keeping as much original condition as possible and stopping further oxidation would be my goal.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This guns needs stabilization and preservation not restoration. I would clean up the rust, rust blue the barrels and refinish the stock a bit. Beyond that you are just pumping money down a well.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not convinced it needs a rust blue. First step would be to boil those barrels, then remove the black oxides and see what you have. Yes there will be some pitting and blue loss but how much would need to be seen. I would likely just build up the places needing it and not polish out the original blue, just build up where needed and blend out with a few passes covering everything.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The current high bidder was the number 2 bidder on a HE Fox that sold Super Bowl Sunday for 14K plus and that one had cut barrels. Apparently he wants an HE real bad. Be interesting what the final gavel shows.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB you are right. And a working gun is allowed a few scars. I just want to make sure all the rust is neutralized and your suggestion would certainly take care of that. I would not strike the barrels just to remove or hide a little pitting. Work horse guns are beautiful to me with scrapes, dings and wear that attest to their being used for the purpose they were intended. Honest hunting.

Hunting of game in natural habitat, not the shooting of pen raised poultry that is shot over e-collared dogs with little bells hanging of their collars. If you tried to put either an e-collar or a little bell on the Cheasie I grew up with your day would have ended with a few bandages and a lot of metholide on cuts and bites. A HE and a Chessie would make a fine throw back combination.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.