April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Upland 28, vern21), 356 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Uh...no clue...the cicadas in my head claim it's heterogeneous amplitude harmonic oscillation wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Different elastic tension?

http://daggy.name/carillon/batmbook/chapter5.htm
Every solid body has a certain degree of elastic tension which, together with its density, determines the velocity of longitudinal vibrations running through it. This is expressed as V = (E/D)˝, in which V represents the velocity of longitudinal waves (in effect, the speed of sound through the material), E is Young's Modulus, or elastic tension in a solid, and D is the density value (mass per unit of volume). Using this formula, the speed of sound in a given solid V is obtained as a figure equal to the square root of the quantity produced by dividing Young's Modulus E by the density of the mass D. Therefore, the longitudinal vibrations in metal are proportional to the square root of the metal's elastic tension and inversely proportional to the square root of its density. All other modes of vibration in the material are correspondingly proportional to the longitudinal rate.

The steel is pattern welded barrels was very low in carbon; AISI 1002 - 1005 low alloy "mild" steel.

“Gun Steels” in 1891
https://books.google.com/books?id=-c8xAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA196&dq

.......Witten....Whitworth.....Vickers
C......0.47.......0.30 - .42.....0.24 - .27
Mn.....0.41......0.24 - .31.....0.22 - .23

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an extremely lightweight French made 16 gauge guild gun with ~27" fluid steel barrels. I shoot mostly 1oz Federals through it and though the gun kicks extremely hard it has a very quiet report. It's so quiet that friends I've hunted with have asked about it. I'm not sure if this adds anything to this thread or not.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send me a chunk of barrel and I'll do a composition analysis Steve wink Maybe "mild steel"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: volleyfire
This would be the perfect opportunity for some of you with a large shotgun collection to compare the sound of barrels, by tapping them just as you might to look for a loose rib. The sound will vary, even among fluid steel barrels, depending on length and thickness. But it seems plausible that a difference of pitch could be found between fluid and Damascus which would be more easily recognized without the noise of firing.
The fact that Walsingham might note the difference in use, is not surprising because he was obviously an athlete comparable to professionals of today. Their sensory reflexes surpass the average person.

I just did this test for you Volleyfire.
Four sets of sound barrels, all 12g SxS, thirty inch.
Webley & Scott, Damascus has a low note.
E. James, Twist is a bit higher note.
I. Hollis & Sons, Steel is a note higher
W. Cashmore, Steel is noticeably a couple of notes higher again.
The Hollis barrels are 3" chambered & heavy, while the Cashmore is 2 3/4 chambered & lighter.

I do know that on a nut farm where I used to shoot pest control that the boss could tell which of my guns I was shooting on the day. This was using the same ammo & each gun shot to a different note.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

anyone else been on the nut farm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

If you read comments made about me elsewhere, you will think I may be king of the nut farm...but every answer is not always simple.

Thanks for running the test Moses. It seems that there may be some real validity to Walsingham's statement.

Rockdoc your French gun really puzzles me. Is it over-bored?

Drew, that is a pretty complex bit of info, but I believe I got the basics. Given that, do you believe that cryo treating a barrel improves its function?

Sidelock
Sidelock

VF: with enough bananas even a monkey can be taught to cut & paste wink ; that does not imply comprehension thereof!

I don't get this stuff either, and it's in non-deep-thinkin'-Missourian!
http://epic.physics.missouri.edu/PDF%20Files/Physics_of_Wind_Chimes-KimB.pdf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

That is pretty funny. Despair not. I just spent a week being called a monkey's uncle for relating what I thought I understood.

I used to practice with a world champion shot. He would never voluntarily tell anyone, anything. One day I asked him why. He said, "They won't appreciate it." The older I get...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly it could be that the bore diameter on most Damascus barrels I have owned(mainly Lefevers)was usually about .005 larger than the fluid steel barrels. Also, back when I shot A.H. Fox guns with Chromox barrels, I had more than one fellow shooter on the dove field comment on how they rang. They said they could hear them all the way across the field.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.