May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (liverwort, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 271 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,625
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who responded. Still looking around. I'm not averse to either cheekpieces nor swivels. I'll probably go with an "experienced" gun, so termed by one of the more or less active pages at "Gun Clearinghouse." Heard em all--thrashed, beater, truckgun, pre-owned, hard-used and lightly maintained--but not "experienced." I did find something of the sort on GA. Looked like it had OJT'd as a hammer.

jack

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi,
Try Mark's Born Again Birdguns. I've had several dealings with him and have been totally satisfied. I just traded in a Merkel 8 that I
had gotten from him earlier on a Merkel 47E. Just tell him what you are looking for and he probably has it or can get it.
The model 8 I traded in was just fine but I just wanted something a bit fancier.
Robert Krull

Krull #47776 07/11/07 05:01 PM

Something to think about when purchasing a Model 8.
Almost of all M8 I came across are chokes tight and extra tight. If a field gun is what you are looking for, then you are obligated to open up the chokes, while you are at it you might as well lengthen the forcing cone, consider another $200 to turn one in to a flourishing field gun. Find a M8 with the correct chokes can take a lifetime.

Last edited by Buzzbee; 07/11/07 05:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
One thing I've noted on several of the West German Model 60's is a problem with the head of the stock. There are often hairline cracks, and sometimes it looks as if the wood is swelling up where it meets the receiver. Don't know if it was bad wood or bad fitting, and I expect a good stock man could solve it pretty easily. Otherwise, reliable guns.

Larry, it is the latter. The guns come with the wood a bit too proud of the metal. I bought mine new that way. A bad stockman could fix that as simply as mounting up some sandpaper on a wooden block and sanding on the panels. This is the only place that the wood is especially proud, and being flat there, it's easy to trim down - even for a novice.

The hair line cracks are in mine too. But they haven't done anything in 15 yrs now. I consider them inconsequential in that my gun has taken a heck of a beating from very heavy loads and some very rough hunting and tumbling.

Never seen an 8 w/o a crossbolt. Mine was stiff too when I got it, but it's loosened up now after who knows how many years and shells.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kebco has a Euro-configured 12 ic/mod; proofed 1990. Looks pretty decent and a bit less drop than the one Steve had on the sale bd. Mark has a '94 NIB but I'm not about to plop down 2100 on a boxlock unless it's something really delicate and worthless like an old graded Flues and (ha ha ha) not even then.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a vote for Mark of Mark's Born Again Birdguns. I spent a week with him in gunsmith school. He is a real gentleman and quite knowledgable about most aspects of guns.

[IMG]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.