May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,019 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,625
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

..... using Triple Shocks or their solids? I mean enough gun to stop a buffalo charge? We're talking 286 grain bullets at 2350 fps or so.... I KNOW that before the advent of Barnes, the minimum would have been a .375 H and H.... has the Barnes TS bullet and/or solid beefed the 9.3x74R up enough for the job?

Thanks,

Duncan Hill
Bozeman, MT

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several writers of the day were enamored of the 9.3X74 for all African game, save elephants. But, they were there, and I am not.

Still, I'm sure the round would distract the big fellow, at the very least.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

A wonderful cartridge but not a "stopper". Good for Buff if you put your bullet in the right place first and have a .470 riding on the PH's shoulder. Then no worries and more likely than not the .470 bore will gather cobwebs for the whole trip. I prefer to use Woodleigh bullets, especially in a double rifle, however. Barnes are a tough slug to swallow for a fine old girl. The new Hornady ammo could be good too. Uses a bonded bullet but Ive not had a chance to test it. Good shooting,

C. Kofoed

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I have a 9.3, I've never used it on buff. However, the cartridge is so close to a 375 flanged that I wouldn't hesitate to substitute it anywhere I'd use that. Having said that, the 375 H&H family are rather marginal for charge stopping at close range. Clair has it quite right, that's where you want a 450-476 family or even bigger. After all, it's the pf's shoulder and he's used to it. The 375 is great for buff you stalk, not as good for wounded angry ones. I've only once had to deal with a surly buff heading in my direction and I had 70 paces to do it it. You'd be surprized how fast you can reload given sufficient incentive and collective throw-weight counts for something! It was a 375.

This is a topic that comes up uver the fire and the only phs I've met who would prohibit a 9.3 were those who had a highly legalistic view of the (government) 375 minimum regulation.

All that said, I have a little Chapuis 9.3 that will shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards all day and comes up like a bird gun. It would make a great African one-gun safari rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leo has stated it best. The 9.3 and .375 are some of the best all around cartridges. Given the right shot, they will and have taken every thing that moves. Neither is a stopping round. In many countries, it is a question of law, or the ph's discretion.

For an endless series of discussions about this and other rounds fit to be called "stopping rounds", check out Accurate Reloading:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Duncan,

Didn't you have a 40 caliber double rifle? .405Win or somesuch?

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duncan, good to see you home. Weren't you in Africa on a religious mission? Bless your heart!

The 9.3 x 74 (.366) is a great medium-heavy caliber. I, too, would like something a bit bigger backing up a buff charge. They lack a sense of humor.

OP Offline

I had a Belgian .35 Win for awhile. For the past 5 years since I sold Hill Rod and Gun to Charlie, I've been building orphanages in Uganda fulltime, but still live in MT, travelling to Africa 3-4 times a year. So far, I haven't had the opportunity to hunt over there, but that may change.... thanks for all the opinions and advice, and the referral to the accurate reloading site. yeah, I think I'd want the PH at my side with the big stick, no matter WHAT cartridge I happened to be shooting.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.