May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bob Jurewicz, SKB, NTaxiarchis, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 901 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

VF: "No one wants advice - only corroboration." John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

And those most in need thereof are usually the least receptive frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall Nash Buckingham's Fox HE Bo Whoop achieved its nickname from the way it sounded across a Duck Marsh.
Several of my early Lefevers are overbored more like a gauge than by .005". That is a 12 is bored to approximately 11 gauge or around .750". I suspect it was intended for use with brass shells, thus oversized wads. do not know that of itself would cause a change in the sound.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't presently own a Damascus-barreled shotgun (a situation I hope to someday rectify, yet-again) but...the three braided-steel guns I've owned and shot regularly (so-far) seemed to have a perceptibly softer report than my fluid-steel guns. I don't shoot very many targets, so this is primarily hunting situations. I am well-aware of how certain environmental conditions (i.e., a coating of fresh and soft snow) can tend to muffle sounds and in some cases I'm sure this was a contributing factor. The loads being used may also be a component for at-least the first gun (I was hand-loading then). Since that first gun (a Lefever G grade), however, I have consistently used RST loads in all my fine guns, both Damascus and fluid-steel. In my humble opinion, there was a sound component missing when I was shooting damascus guns. A fairly high-pitched "ringing" immediately after the shot which I now associate with fluid steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, I looked at the wind chime link.
Now when I did the test for "Volleyfire" I suspected something like that going on & that is why I used all 12g 30" barrels.
I hung them side by side & tapped them at varying places up & down them but the note differences stayed about the same.

Back to the nut farm (Pecans). The boss called my Julian Arana. Eibar, "La Sorda" 12g with 28inch barrels, the howitzer.
I would like to hear Bo Whoop & The Howitzer & the Fox Chromox from across a duck marsh.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
As I recall Nash Buckingham's Fox HE Bo Whoop achieved its nickname from the way it sounded across a Duck Marsh.
Several of my early Lefevers are overbored more like a gauge than by .005". That is a 12 is bored to approximately 11 gauge or around .750". I suspect it was intended for use with brass shells, thus oversized wads. do not know that of itself would cause a change in the sound.

Jim Kelly, Darlington, SC gunsmith who restocked Bo Whoop, and actually made the world aware of it's existence, took Bo Whoop to a river swamp with some duck loads and had an associate fire it while he waited several hundred yards away and listened. He told me he could discern no unusual tone to the report of the gun.

Maybe it had something to do with the lay of the land (water), possibly it was a particular duck load of the day, ..........or maybe it was a fanciful tale made up by Col. H. P. Sheldon.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly relevant to the intensity and quality of sound over the duck marsh in the winter, or Blubberhouses Moor wink

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/effects-of-temperature-humidity-live-sound/
Because it is less dense, sound passes through hot air faster than it passes through cold air. For this reason, temperature gradients cause refraction effects. Morning is a time when the ground is still cool from the night before but the upper air is already warming due to the sun. Under these conditions, sound can bounce between the gradient and the ground, forming regions of higher and lower sound intensity.
Also, as sound propagates through air, the air absorbs energy from the sound wave, attenuating (weakening) it. The effect is significant only at frequencies above 2 kHz, and increases with frequency. This is the reason why when we hear thunder in the distance it is only a low rumble. The high frequency “crack” has been attenuated more rapidly than the low frequency portion of the noise.
The attenuation of sound in air is affected by the relative humidity. Dry air absorbs far more acoustical energy than does moist air. This is because moist air is less dense than dry air (water vapor weighs less than air).

El mas y mas sordo frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why does sound travel so much better under water, water is certainly denser than air.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

These physicist fellers sound smart Miller
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-sound-travel-faster-in-water-than-air

I gave up at the anomalous transparency phenomenon and acoustic coupling at points of water and air interface part tired

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Nash Buckingham, himself, the name Bo Whoop was given by the black guide who often poled his skiff. One day Nash waded off through the reeds and came back with a heavy stringer of birds.

The guide said that he knew Nash was having good shooting because he could hear that big gun go bo-whoop. At the time Nash was lauding John Olin's 3" Super X, so the impression was given that the primary difference in sound was due to the power of the shells.

Nash had a close relationship with Olin and never missed an opportunity to praise any Winchester product.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was Ho'ace Miller - Yassuh Mist' Nash!

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 04/24/17 12:03 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.