March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#479039 04/28/17 07:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It never seems to amaze me anymore, at what you can find when you start taking them apart.
Looks like it worked for a while, holding the stock together.
The vertical crack was stabilized, but the "repair" started a horizontal crack. Anyone have a Buba repair they would like to share

Sidelock
Sidelock

My PH had the same repair. The head came out in six pieces. That type repair must have been common. One good thing is at least it didn't have a bolt through the flats. I wish I had taken pictures.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth, I have seen more than a few A H Fox stocks that were not cracked with this fastener in the same location. I have always assumed it was a factory fix to prevent cracks.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox did this at the factory on some guns.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was in a Ithaca Flues model, and did not look like factory work.
By any chance did Ithaca do the same thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't seen this particular type of repair in an Ithaca Flues gun. I do see quite a few Flues that have pieces of wood missing at the top of the stock head on either side of the top tang, directly behind the action. I also see some that have been repaired in that same area, and have repaired a couple myself. One Flues I bought very cheap had boars tusks screwed into the wood in place of these missing pieces of wood. Talk about a Bubba repair! I believe it probably happens due to recoil battering on the old brittle wood when the action gets a bit loose in the stock.

I find it very interesting to hear that Fox used these corrugated reinforcements as a factory solution to a problem they obviously recognized early on. The type of repair you picture here is also pretty common in other guns. More often, a broad metal staple is made to bridge the crack in the center of the stock head, and is there as added reinforcement to any glue or epoxy repair to prevent the crack from opening back up. Properly done, it works very well to save original wood. Some guns, such as Parkers and Remingtons, are a bit worse in this regard than others due to their wedge shaped tapered tangs. They were likely OK with the vintage loads for which they were designed, but things like age, stock oiling, loose screws, and battering from heavy modern loads cause them to split.

Unfortunately, there are much worse Bubba repairs done to these guns. You often see them with dowels, nails, wood screws, and even stove bolts fastened with farmers nuts through the cheeks of the stock. Then there's the gray epoxy and baling wire repairs. The so-called "staple method" is at least hidden, and therefore more aesthetically acceptable. As with many gun repairs, there is a right way and a wrong of doing it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Ithaca had the missing wood on top that had to be replaced.
The stock head was stapled at the same time.

This is my favorite Buba repair, nothing but bailing wire and hopes were holding it together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Muzzle loading hunting in Colorado. Horse rolled over on the rifle. No backup.
Rifle broke in half through the lock. Would have shot the horse, but rifle would not work and too far from camp to walk.
Metal socket holder and duct tape made the baling wire job look good.
Killed a nice buck and head shot a couple of blue grouse with the patched rifle. Maybe shot better than before.
Chuck

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

the stock head repair is a better one than just gluing,and it keeps the stock from splitting completely.the other one looks like a necessity repair if you have no money and need the gun that's what you get.mabe a farmer.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

PS i have seen the staple across the head, metal like the picture here, threaded stock and a cut off course bolt (at least that's what it looked like,i have also seen a piece of baltic birch plywood milled and inlet,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.