April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (vern21, GETTEMANS), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Wood;
You left out the best of the Lot, LEFEVER.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It helps to attend double gun event like the Southern Side by Side and the Northeast shoot. There are hundreds of Parkers displayed at these shoots. The big auction houses are also disposing of Parker collections at a great rate. It would help us to know where you live and what configuration of Parker you are looking for.

Last edited by eightbore; 05/16/17 10:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Joe Wood;

Whisper: "you are absolutely right but I don't want the word to get out any sooner than possible. I 'need' another Lefever!"

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Joe Wood;

Whisper: "you are absolutely right but I don't want the word to get out any sooner than possible. I 'need' another Lefever!"

Too late. Even garden variety Twist barreled H grades with excessive drop and no case colors are selling for nearly double what you could snag them for 10 years ago. And this in spite of the supposed drop in demand for double shotguns. This one also had a profit making $50.00 shipping charge on top of the transfer fees the buyer will pay.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642188375

Glad I stocked up when they were cheap! I was buying higher grade 20's and 16's in equal or better condition for this price before the word got out. The good old days have ended.

Oh crap... now I'm going to get attacked for a thread diversion. Must get back on topic... one of the guns I got burned (or lightly singed) on was a 16 gauge GE Lefever that was priced low enough that I didn't think to run home to grab my Stan Baker bore gauge. It looked unmolested and all original, but the bores turned out to be about .008" over nominal .662" 16 ga. bore size. It was still a good deal and was still very sound and shootable. But had I been armed with the information that it was apparently honed about .004", I might have negotiated an even better price. It's a sweet little bird gun regardless. Perfect mirror bores in 100+ year old shotguns should always be viewed with some caution. Lesson learned, but hardly the last lesson.

Selby Lowndes

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan I agree Fox case colors are like fine water colors but my favorite are the colors found in Remington 1894's. I was looking at a EE last week which had great engraving and great color. It did have the common stock split which does not bother me at all because the repair is highly predictable and seems to last a lifetime. I liked it so much I am thinking about going back with a few grand in my pocket to see if we can come to a better price and bring it home with me.

Had it been a straight grip I would have been forced to buy it on the first visit. But my rule of thumb now is to buy no guns much over two grand at first examination. Saves a lot of impulse buying. I might miss a few guns that sell before I get back to them but I just can't buy them all it seems. Such a sad state of affairs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I have a number of Lefevers in 12, 16, and 20 gauge and all have original bores as far as I can tell and all are overbored.

Ky Jon, I have an almost firm policy to walk away for awhile from a gun I like and let the emotions cool off. Though I've lost a few it has also saved me from a number of bad deals. If on the second or third pass the urge is still there I'll sucker.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets get back to the original poster's inquiry, unmolested Parkers and Foxes. This isn't a hard question. We all know where they are. By the way, today, at 71 years old, I sold my Harley, so Parkers should be a piece of cake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
I recall reading a while back that Turnbull would occasionally receive guns for restoration that the owner thought were in original condition. A records check would show that in fact, Turnbull had restored them in the past. I suspect that the same thing happens with Del Grego.

This begs two questions. One, is it possible to inquire to both firms as to if the gun was restored in the past? And two, if a credible restoration was done, certainly possible by others than just those two firms, why should it dramatically alter the gun's value?

A hundred years can obviously age a gun, especially barrel finish and case coloring, as well as the condition of the wood finish. In guns with no significant historical provenance, a credible restoration should improve value, rather than detract from it. How many rusty weapons or pieces of armor have you seen in museums? Sure, there are plenty, but also many that were restored, as long as the piece was in good enough condition to warrant restoration.

Once again, it's the Original vs Restored condition "Kettle of Worms"....

Regards
Ken

Ken, just have a look at collector cars. While there is the glimmer of the beginnings of an "unrestored" market, the big money is for cars that have been taken down and put back together, bolt by bolt. And the money those guys spend make gun collectors looking like pikers.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt any gun that was restored by Delgrego has been mistaken as original by anyone.

The subject of this thread is something that does concern a good amount of people. All the time i get people contacting me asking my thoughts on Parkers they are considering purchase of. Some are pretty pesty, but it is what it is. They are very concerned about being burned.
I never comment on the price of a gun, i only advise on my thoughts on condition and what i see that is right or not right in a gun. The last time someone went ahead and still bought a gun that i raised a lot of red flags on, the gun ended up turning into a nightmare of a money pit for the buyer.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
I doubt any gun that was restored by Delgrego has been mistaken as original by anyone.

The subject of this thread is something that does concern a good amount of people. All the time i get people contacting me asking my thoughts on Parkers they are considering purchase of. Some are pretty pesty, but it is what it is. They are very concerned about being burned.
I never comment on the price of a gun, i only advise on my thoughts on condition and what i see that is right or not right in a gun. The last time someone went ahead and still bought a gun that i raised a lot of red flags on, the gun ended up turning into a nightmare of a money pit for the buyer.

Very interesting, Brian. It upholds what I said earlier, that IMO the more a brand is overpriced the more fakes and misrepresented restorations there will be with that brand.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.