March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (battle, eightbore, GeorgeGibbs505, 3 invisible), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#480719 05/16/17 06:59 AM
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Please pardon me for asking about a pump gun on this board.
I think I am more likely to get some help from the knowledgeable gunsmiths here.
I have taken the magazine cap off a 16 gauge Remington pump to clean the tube and spring.
when attempting to put it back together, I find I can't get the pin (screw} through the holes on the barrel guide and the magazine, and the barrel lock. Is there any trick to it?
Thanks for any help you can give me. Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might try pushing inward on the magazine cap, and if the pin hole lines up with the bushing, insert the locking machine screw and carefully thread it into the female threads.

I'm more of a Model 12 man, so this is a guess, but I once had a M31 12 gauge- 28" Mod. solid rib, nicely stocked, fit me well, but as I started shooting with Model 12's at age 11, got used to the front of the trigger guard safety of the Winchester, so when a late season rooster pheasant erupted at my boots, and I had the M31- I fumbled for the safety, and when I finally got it moved to fire position, the big rooster was topping the trees, on some State owned land here in MI-- I hit him, but without my Lab, would have never had him in the game bag-. Sold it to a DU pal shortly afterwards- smooth as silk action. I am of the belief that the barrel take-down on the M31 may be similar to that found on the Ithaca M37's- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Fox, I appreciate your response, but I've tried that.
The pin won't go through the holes in the barrel locking nut. there must be something inside that stops it.
I'm sure that somebody on this board must have encountered the same problem and figured out how to do it.
It is a 16 gauge series 1941 if that makes any difference.
I would very much appreciate any help you could give me. Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be some information here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgVDVjwUs4

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gary,
but that video doesn't cover the magazine tube and barrel lock nut.
I am still hoping that someone with experience with the model 31 will chime in. Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try backing off the knurled ring to move the bbl locking pin back down. The hole in the shaft of the pin inside is elongated to allow for the back and forth movement to tighten and loosen the bbl from the shotgun,,but if run too far out you hit the back end of the elongated slot in there with the assembly screw when you go to put it together.

There's also a set screw /spring tension adjustment inside the assembly for the locking pin. You get at it from the back end of the mag cap assembly. You can back down the spring tension on the pin a little if it is interferring with assembly of the screw. It will help ease pushing the screw past the spring loaded assembly if that's what's needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the Remington manual on it, there is a breakdown of the parts apart and an assembly drawing of it assembled if that will help. The manual dose not detail reassembly of this unit, just a warning about the magazine spring in disassembly.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter and James, thank you both very much.
I want to try Kutter's suggestion, but I unfortunately pulled a muscle in my back and it hurts just to move.
when my back is better I'll give that a try.
Thanks to all, Pete

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I gave it another try, following Kutter's suggestion. and I found the locking nut knurled ring had been turned down so far that it was jammed. I had to put it in a vice to start it, once it was loose I turned it up and the bolt just about fell through the holes. It is very embarrassing, it was such a stupid mistake.
Thanks to all who replied, Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.