April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Drew Hause, bushveld, 3 invisible), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,826
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#482310 06/06/17 11:41 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anyone has one of these shotguns in the low 16000 serial number range could you verify that your lock/s do or do not have a sear spring.
I just recently purchased the first hammerless Syracuse L.C. Smith, serial number 16000. This has a sear spring and the sear is located above the mainspring.
This gun is a 10 gauge with 30" barrels, it does not have L.C. Smith engraved on the locks and does not have a makers name on the barrels. It is a Quality 2 and also does not have any patent dates on the receiver.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Prototype or lunch bucket gun ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not really familiar with a Smith this early, but later ones do not have a separate sear spring. These have a Vee Main spring with the longer upper limb being the hammer spring & the shorter lower limb being the sear spring. The sear on these is mounted below the mainspring & does not engage the outer periphery of the hammer as this one does. The hammer Smith's I am familiar with are set up very much like the later hammerless guns. In short I have never seen a Smith with this sear arrangement.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, since this one is the forerunner of all L.C. Smith hammerless guns, it is possible that it is a prototype.
In a 1888 Syracuse catalog you can see where the arrow is pointing that they did do away with the sear spring. I have a few Syracuse L.C. Smith hammerless guns but nothing in the 16000 range.

Miller, from what I understand from one of our L.C. Smith members is that this lock configuration is what the early Baker's had. The trigger pull was said to be very smooth because of this type of sear layout. You can see in the bottom picture that there are 3 pins at the top of the lock. The far left one is the sear spring screw post, the center one is the side plate connecting screw and the right one is the axle for the sear. This gun was made in August 1886 and it would be nice to know when Baker came out with their hammerless side lock.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, it is a fun search. Just read your story in the Smith Newsletter. Keep up the good work. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

David;
As I read the 1888 catalog description I get the feeling the elimination of the sear spring is not in reference to earlier Smith guns, but to those of other makes. This gun does have a lot of Smith looking features. It may well be a prototype which never actually made it into production. Actually from my perspective I like the setup of the sear here better than on their production guns. I have always felt the sear should engages the hammer as far away from its axis of rotation as possible. "Uncle Dan" Lefever used this concept on his sears consequently they have separate sear springs. Separate sear springs are not really a big deal IMHO.
Does this gun have the Alexander Brown designed Rotary bolt?. As I recall this came into being around 1884. W H Baker had left the company about 1880, though this design could have been a hangover from his designs.
Whatever it proves to be it is a very desirable & interesting gun.You should feel fortunate indeed to own it.
Later Baker guns incidentally did not use this design either.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller, that is hard to say. The L.C. Smith side lock was a patent of Brown's also, November 27, 1883 for hammer guns. This incorporated a sear spring and I wonder if they used this sear spring in their early hammerless guns. The early hammer guns used a bar action mainspring, so some thought had to be put in to making a hammerless guns that utilized a back action lock now.

Baker and Lyman's older brother Leroy left Syracuse in 1880 and went to Ithaca to start the Ithaca Gun Company.

I do have some serial numbers in the low 16000 in my records, but they were from auctions and no pictures of locks.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.