April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (graybeardtmm3, canvasback, Jem Finch, buckstix, 2 invisible), 807 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The most likely explanation, is that the steel used in that rod had a different alloy content, causing it to have a finer grain structure and become more reactive to the solution. Why it is different, is a quandary. Different supplier than the other rods, different batch of steel used???

Craig is correct that, at least in some places, the twist rate seems slower than the other rods. A lower twist rate can cause the lines in the pattern to be broader.

Another possibility is the number of layers used in the darker rod. It looks to be about 15 layers. The image isn't clear enough to accurately count layers in all the rods. If the other rods were made up of more layers, this would also cause the lower count rod to appear darker.

Quote:
I was coming from the thought that tubes were sourced from Europe in a rough turned state.

It was my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that barrel tubes were mostly finished on the outside, and bored and chambered before they were marketed to the gun manufacturers. This was necessary in order to proof them before sale.

Having the tubes ground to near finished wall thickness for proofing, would allow for viewing the patterns to select closely matching patterns for paired tubes.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That all makes sense.

Now, back to my earlier iteration, I'd contend that the effect was intentional, since it's observed in all ribband sections of the tube. If it was unintentional or a mistake, it should be localized to one section.

I was hoping DocDrew would be able to provide a specific name for this feature.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An added note, at the end of the manufacturing process, the tubes were coated with Sulfuric Acid before shipping. I use this myself for the initial etch. This creates a "skin" on the tubes and makes the pattern very visible. This would aid in matching decisions for tube sets.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On most guns "Made in America" you will not find the definitive proof marks. On some you will find the provisional proof marks, but not all. none of my Lefever guns have any proof marks at all, though I know that some have the Belgian provisional marks. The provisional proof was a proof applied to a rough tube, un-finished on either outside or inside & un-chambered. Definitive proof was applied after the barrels were essentially finished & had been joined together.
My feeling is that American makers bought the tubes "In the Rough", bearing only the provisional proof & then finished them to their purpose. In the process of finishing many lost enough metal on the OD to lose the provisional mark.
If you find a set having definitive proof then that set of barrels was jointed & finished in Belgium. I cannot say absolutely that none were, but I have yet to see a set of barrels from a noted American maker carrying these definitive proof marks.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The provisional proof was a proof applied to a rough tube, un-finished on either outside or inside & un-chambered. Definitive proof was applied after the barrels were essentially finished & had been joined together.

Thanks for this information 2-piper!! I should study the proofing process more. I can't envision how they contained the proof load in a rough tube.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca Gun Co. tube storage area. Some appear as joined sets while many others appear to be stored as individual tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt, great picture. Do you have an idea of the date ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to me that the variation in your barrels is just the result of using a ribband that had a differing composition of iron and steel. Whether this was intentional or accidental is a matter for conjecture.

I'm interested in what you said about rough barrels having a coating of sulfuric acid applied before shipping. I'd assume this would have had to have been neutralized after bringing out the pattern, or all you'd see is a coating of heavy rust.

It has always been my understanding that what Miller says about the proof process is essentially correct. I believe the tube are rough bored for the provisional proofing, but they are not chambered. But I have never been able to find out exactly how the proof houses breeched or contained the proof charge in unfinished and unchambered barrels.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leave it to YouTube. Apparently, a temporary breech plug is fitted during initial proof. Here's a link to the video. For some reason, I can't attach it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aHnxsj7y8

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Remember, they ordered specific ribband patterns from the rolling mills.

Please enlighten.... What is a "rolling mill"?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.