May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, CJF, Argo44, David Williamson, ClapperZapper, 2 invisible), 1,069 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,512
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

seems reasonable to me...maybe there is something we could learn here?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, what about those background checks? How good are they? Ours involve checking with divorced partners for character references. I personally think that's a stretch but probably necessary particularly if applying for carry. But even that wouldn't account for road rage, normal but incipient killer for some simple misdemeanour like flipping a finger. We have those, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

king: i do not know the answer to your question re the value of our nics system...perhaps it could be improved by including input from local police sources as a final check, just prior to transfer of a firearm...

as for canada's gun laws, l like the concept of classifying firearms as non-restricted, restricted and prohibited...

i also like the concept of a federal restricted firearms owners license, which would require periodic renewal...

perhaps we should consider a similar federal system here?

Last edited by ed good; 06/16/17 12:46 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, google description multiple, mass killing in US, the number officially recorded. They've become so common daily many don't make the news. That's "unreported" to me.

I doubt there's an American or Canadian who doesn't admire the good intentions of the Founding Fathers. Living by them is so contentious that a Supreme Court appointment can change governance for decades.

I'd feel short-changed by a system that chooses a president with three million less votes than an opponent and plunges the country into a dissolving phantasmagoria of constitutional rights within six months.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....Craig, we've had our disagreements over time, but I have no wish to make it personal. I apologize for my snarky comments....

I would've much rather made a snarky comment about King's if I were king response, but I don't take it personally. Maybe, we both know that getting a little snarky is more effective than facts and figures. There's no apology needed in my direction, if that was your intention. I come from the point of view that differences of opinion are not really my business, but agendas intended to force change shouldn't be accepted because of an out of sight out of mind position, apathy.

Criminal, misogynist, racist, orange haired and on and on, but none of it is policy. Fine, convict him and throw him in jail. Now say he's in the slammer, it still doesn't acknowledge that his policy on firearms is much more palatable to someone likely to visit here than policy intended to progress in the opposite direction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
....mass killing in US, the number officially recorded. They've become so common daily many don't make the news. That's "unreported" to me.

I doubt there's an American or Canadian who doesn't admire the good intentions of the Founding Fathers....

Okay, I can't help it.

Mass is normally reserved for Sundays. As a newsman yourself, you know that 'unreported' is so because it doesn't line your pocket with money or it doesn't fit your personal opinion of what is worthy. There's your lack of checks and balances.

Back to your 'if I were king' proclamation. Seems if you would crush freedom of speech when Constitutional business was being done, one should be aware of what your 'feelings' are about the intention of the Constitution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The US problem is poor border control and a system which rewards becoming a drain on the system. King can we send you 14 million illegal invaders? Can we send you about the same number of city born and raised self proclaiming victims of the system? If you got rid of those two groups our gun violence would be reduced by 90%. People focus on mass shootings, which are not to be taken lightly, but they might be a fraction of 1% of all shootings. Just they are the ones being over reported.

Truth is most gun violence does not happen to 99.999% of the population. Most gun violence is business or personal. Business as in drug related against competition, against people trying to take over another's selling area, against people who owe money and won't pay or people who want easy money by doing a quick job to get the money or drugs. Some is personal to pay back for some previous injustice. Some is just plain murder.

Fact is if you stay out of most cities worst areas this gun crime will never find you. If you are out of there by sunset you are fine. But if you go there after midnight and hang out with them you will get caught up in some bad things. Stupid is as stupid does.

I am not Wyatt Eurp or some fast draw trick shooter but if you give me two seconds I can put two shots center mass in anything under 25 yards. And few
of these shooters will stand up to that type return fire. Heck most don't want to play that game at all. And if I don't get two seconds I'll go down but my wife will still be there and while she is slower shooting I'd not risk it if I were the bad guys. A pissed off women with a gun is like a poked bear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The United States is in about the midpoint of gun related deaths compared to population,in the world. The bulk of the killings in the US are done by non whites. Europeans who love to point out the evils of our gun ownership laws are silent when it is pointed out that their wars of the 20th century killed millions. Had these predatory countries that caused these wars had had and armed population with a desire to be free, perhaps history would have been written differently. I take little interest in the opinions of mass murderers.

As far as opinions expressed by Canadians. The US fought for its independence and won it from Britain, the most powerful nation in the world at that time. Canada got their independence given to them by Britain who was that time bankrupt from fighting European wars. I take little interest in the opinions of light weights

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. I think that's a good summation of your situation, and would fit pretty well here except we don't have as many illegals and a stronger but far from satisfactory immigrant acceptance system.

I don't know about carry providing greater public safety despite our prowess. I asked a Mountie the other day, pointing at his handgun, if he could hit anyone with it. His smile said no but his words were "I qualify yearly."

As for the rest of us, even with a clear shot in a perhaps crowded space, I question the consequences of any Tom, Dick or Harry firing away, particularly at nutcase with a rifle. One killed three Mounties here two years ago.

Which takes us back to people choosing how they want to live. I have no issue with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

pooch, Canadians contributed to world peace when the US came very late to two wars against fascism. The US contributed mightily with the USSR in the satisfactory outcome. The US, the only superpower, is declining in influence. China is in ascendancy because it quietly goes about its business diplomatically and without hubris, making global friends to advance its interests. The US is withdrawing from commitments to its security and trade relationships so quickly allies are questioning its trustworthiness and making other arrangements. The US is my favourite other country and it hurts to see what's going on. I imagine you're hurting, too.

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.