April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, LGF, bushveld), 1,169 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 37 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37

Yes Sir Mr. Murphy, This particular shotgun was a sxs 12 ga., Ithica. It was one of a group of guns that came off of papa's boat. I state for the record all of this told to me by the owner of these guns, as a collector myself I'm of the belief that a gun story and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

Never the less the gun in question was nothing fancy, plain Jane wood (Lots of cast off) and fit me oh so well. It must have been built to fit some weirdo as it fit me to a "T".

Vary heavy live bird gun, nothing that would appeal to many here on this site.

I can shoot a gun I get used to, if I shoot it enough. I'm a marvel with a gun that fits.

The owner did check my eye position by looking at my eye in relation to the front and middle bead and did declare it a perfect. The stock was shorter than normal with a pad. The gun had not one drop of engraving. As an aside means nothing really, but my test on mounting the gun passed every test I know, only gun this has ever happened to me.

That is the extent of my memory of the gun, but that's been over 20 years ago. Sorry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, since I didn't receive a reply from Ken, I guess the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" rule applies here.

And, if I was able to afford it, the fact that it isn't being offered in a 16 would be a deal killer for me anyway. Once again, the 16 gets short shrift, even though lots of people have asked for it.

I just don't get it.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, Al, the comment about "Not For Sale" led me to believe that the Hemingway gun was in your gun room. Oh, well.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
my guess is the 16 bore tubes are not as availible. Also with a project of this scope, one has to pick ones battles. 16 would be my prefference too just for the record.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

MARK, We have only received two request for a 16 ga and one request for a 12 ga. This was established by the survey taken by George P. Cos wise, we won't know until one is made. Can't tell until all the houes and material are added up, sorry. Client will pick their own wood from their source which will also affect the overall cost. Engraving is another cost factor that will vary. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
MARK, We have only received two request for a 16 ga and one request for a 12 ga

Mr. Ken, those numbers seem suspect. I just went over the first 5 pages of this thread and read at least 5 posts promoting the 16ga. Might want to check again.

I believe the reason everyone wants small (20-28) guns is their rarity in the original production. Parkers, Ithacas, Foxes, and now the Lefever, all had a smaller original production of small gauge guns. Therefore their rarity makes them desirable to collectors. When Parker Repros, ICD, and Galazan did their marketing study they figured, and rightly, that 20 & 28's were desirable so that's what they offered. The same is happening now with the Lefever project. Everyone that wishes he could have an original Uncle Dan 20ga. is wanting to satisfy that itch with a new one.

But the truth of it is the original production numbers were much higher for 12's & 16's because more shooters were actually using those gauges.

Personally I'd like to see a 12 or 10 ga waterfowler with steel safe barrels. Nobody does that well anymore and I feel it would be more in keeping with the original production guns. Make some G grades that would be affordable to all. But too late now I suppose. Everyone has to have a high grade, even it's new production.

JMHO.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I'm following the project with much interest. I'm pretty sure I'll be in for a 20/28g. I looked into that breach end of the barrels I had. I'm not confident that they're a Lefever set. More likely an Ithaca. I hope you have another source for this area of the gun to study.

Has the project reached the detail design phase yet?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken - I do hope I'm on your list. Did you get the PM I sent after the last update? a 20/28 would be ideal from my perspective.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ROB ---- Did you check out the survey George posted ? He sent me a report that indicated that there was only two request for the 16 ga.

Chuck --- Mr. Rob was kund enought to send me a breech section of a Lefever bbl. Thanks anyway.

Vinifera --- I send copies of all request to Jakearoo (Craig Clark).

Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally would order if I could have an eightbore, but, try as I may, I can't figure a way to install those barrels on a XX frame.

Page 34 of 37 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.