March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

treb, there's one screwdriver in the world that exactly fits that thing - that being the one they put it together with.

That screwdriver is in Germany which makes field service a tad inconvenient.

The idea of handmade 'perfect' workmanship is not lost on me. I 'get' that part.

My point is that this can coexist with serviceability in the modern age.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ha! I just went down to the 'gun room' (garage) to swab out my K-20 after a fine weekend in pursuit of the wily clay target, and guess what holds the trigger plate in?

I likely noticed before but apparently forgot...

It looks to be a Torx head screw. It has 6 points, but I can't tell if it's standard or not since the guard is in the way.

So, they know about Torx 'style' fasteners in Germany and they have made it as far up the food chain as Krieghoff.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Serviceability by who?

Most of these remarks are from can'ts attacking can's.

I'm sure if you found your way to the front of the line at H&W, all your screws would be facing longitudinally at delivery.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding Torx, Phillips, Allen, or whatever non-slotted head pattern you choose, they too have a symmetry. So if you are the "highly observant" type concerned about alignment you'll notice those as well. They're harder to notice but much harder to align .
Just a thought.
Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
....there's one screwdriver in the world that exactly fits that thing - that being the one they put it together with.

That screwdriver is in Germany which makes field service a tad inconvenient.

The idea of handmade 'perfect' workmanship is not lost on me. I 'get' that part....

My guess would be that it is not a one off slot with a matching one off bit to fit it. It's likely a machine cut slot to some in house standard. All it has to do is appear 'fine'. For a very few dollars, I'd think some torx screws could be sent along with the gun with the buyer having the choice of which set was on when the gun is delivered.

That particular example appears to have 'fine' English rose and scroll engraving. The roses of the 'fine' engraving look like torx heads to me. While the scroll is 'fine' in its size, there's almost no shading. Maybe, it's a price point gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No Best maker would have let it out of the shop like that.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently, this photo is of a gun on the Hartman & Weiss website.

If you are contemplating buying one of their guns, why not contact them with a link to this particular discussion so that they will understand that the vast majority of buyers of an expensive engraved shotgun find this sort of attention to detail unacceptable?

In all likelihood, the screw just needs torqued down another fraction of a turn to align the slot. Highly doubtful it was built with a misaligned slot prior to engraving and case hardening. But that little detail should have been done before the gun was handed to a photographer for an advertising photo. Someone really dropped the ball.

It is incorrect to think that narrow slot screws cannot be removed or replaced without damage or misalignment. It simply takes more care, and the proper hollow ground screw driver. When a good gunsmith finds a screw with a slot that his drivers don't fit, he will grind a tip to fit perfectly before he ever attempts to move the screw.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best trick I have learned about not buggering up a screw is to never try to turn it. Hard to not do sometimes I know but I have stopped taking things apart at last. Just wish more than a few gunsmiths would do the same. I've had more than one gun returned with a screw that suffered from a trip to the gunsmith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One need only watch a video showing how that screw was fitted to the action to understand why it was just an oversight during the photography shoot.

The items the photographer wished to illuminate are very nice, in my view.

That picture has been chewed on before.
So have the proud wood pictures.

I'm not even sure they are still taking orders.
The principals have to be in their 80's by now.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig,
The screws are, indeed, one off, and the screw drivers are also. The screw originally had a very thick head, with a sacrificial slot. When every thing was fit up and turned in properly, a new slot location was marked( north and south) and either filed or sawn( with a fine blade),then the head was filed flush, polished and engraved. The screw driver would have been made to fit that screw( and others in that location in other guns made at the same workbench). When the finished screw in under or over turned, then not only is the slot noticeable, but the engraving is mismatched.
With regard to scope rings, the only logical type screw to use is either Allen or Torx.
Mike

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.