May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (DaveB, NTaxiarchis, Tim in PA), 326 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,767
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20 ga Ideal and my safety is worse than most. The tab is broken off the right side so having only the left tab is awkward for a right hander. I generally hunt alone and I just don't use the safety. I also hunt with my hammer guns cocked just like Greener advised in "The gun and it's development". If I hunt with others I just don't use the Ideal or a hammer gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aside from the awkward tab and position, the fact that it is reversed in terms of direction really throws me. Unlike Wingshooter, I hunt with other guns. If I was trying to use the safety, I would be blowing every second shot as I would have to first consciously remember which direction to move it. By the time I get that sorted out, I can see the sharptail disappearing over the hill. grin

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are so inclined, an NOS safety is readily available, though it requires a little "cut and file" to be fitted. I'm not a metal guy, and it took me a couple leisurely hours to fit a new one to my 314 (not including disassembly time).

At the end of the day, we employ the guns and procedures that we and those around us are comfortable with.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Aside from the awkward tab and position, the fact that it is reversed in terms of direction really throws me. Unlike Wingshooter, I hunt with other guns. If I was trying to use the safety, I would be blowing every second shot as I would have to first consciously remember which direction to move it. By the time I get that sorted out, I can see the sharptail disappearing over the hill. grin

Only if you haven't dropped your glasses again.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone who's commented on this thread. I guess there's so idea so dumb that someone hasn't already gone and tried it. Mike, you can rest assured I'm not going to do anything rash with that gun. Have a 3-week trip planned to northeast NY and New England this fall that will feature what promises to be pretty good grouse hunting on private land (including a 125-acre abandoned apple orchard in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom). It will be my cocker Gilley's first season. The Ideal will definitely come along, funky safety intact and en origine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From where is a NOS safety available?

Last edited by Hammergun; 07/11/17 06:54 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun
From where is a NOS safety a available?

If you hang out here: http://www.naturabuy.fr/Pieces-detachees-armes-Manufrance-critere-498828.html long enough, one might turn up. A quick look turned up no boutons de sūreté, but there are two listings right now for 16/70 Ideal barrels en blanc--never blued or assigned serial numbers. I'm a bit tempted to pick a set up just in case...

Last edited by billwolfe; 07/11/17 06:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: billwolfe
Originally Posted By: Hammergun
From where is a NOS safety a available?

If you hang out here: http://www.naturabuy.fr/Pieces-detachees-armes-Manufrance-critere-498828.html long enough, one might turn up. A quick look turned up no boutons de sūreté, but there are two listings right now for 16/70 Ideal barrels en blanc--never blued or assigned serial numbers. I'm a bit tempted to pick a set up just in case...

It worked well for Mike (not cheap) but when I picked up a beautiful set of 5 palm barrels for my 12 gauge, they were too narrow across the breech. Despite being made in the same year most likely......1920 or 1919.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the info billwolfe. I'll keep an eye out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had looked at the site just before typing that post, as the seller jepercute (sp) usually has a couple listed at any one time. One of the great things about these guns is the availability of parts- from the crappy little stamped safety, to barrels and actions in the white. It's not easy or cheap, but our passions seldom are.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.