May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Jtplumb, j7l2, SKB, Guy Ave, 1 invisible), 750 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,478
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete Mazur uses an ultrasonic instrument to measure barrel wall thickness and it works very well.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The next time you speak with Pete, please inquire as to the specific ultrasonic wall thickness instrument he uses, and his minimal wall thickness criteria at the end of the chamber, 9" from breech, and overall MWT. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: builder
Without going into detail, I purchased Galazan's wall thickness gauge and began measuring my barrels. One of my guns measured .014 thickness whereas before I thought there was about .025 minimal wall thickness. Needless to say, I now love my Galazan gauge.

Question: If you've been shooting your 12 gauge double for years and discover 0.014" wall thickness out near the muzzle, or anywhere else, do you quit shooting it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my case I had only shot it once at sporting clays. Ignorance is not bliss and although I had no problem with it once I knew things change. It is in the back of your mind and it affects your performance if not your safety and those around you. If it is way down the barrel where the pressures are lower there is probably little risk to life and limb. When looking at a feeler gauge at .014 and you see the thickness it gives you pause for thought. There are many guns out there that are fun. Better to replace it with one that reduces the risk. It is easy to dent and what do you think your barrel smith would say about fixing it? I sold it for parts and took a loss.

So many guns, so little time!
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jolly Bill
Originally Posted By: builder
Without going into detail, I purchased Galazan's wall thickness gauge and began measuring my barrels. One of my guns measured .014 thickness whereas before I thought there was about .025 minimal wall thickness. Needless to say, I now love my Galazan gauge.

Question: If you've been shooting your 12 gauge double for years and discover 0.014" wall thickness out near the muzzle, or anywhere else, do you quit shooting it?

I wouldn't shoot a gun knowingly that had MWT of .014" near the chamber. I was told by a barrel man that at the muzzle, a garden hose could be safely used to contain the pressure. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The critical measurement for wall thickness is traditionally 9" ahead of the breech. If this where most people measure them?

I'll probably talk to Pete in the next few days and I'll ask him.

Last edited by Chukarman; 07/10/17 09:06 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The critical WT measurement(s) are every inch from breech to 16-18" (the location of the forward hand), esp. the end of the chamber and forcing cone if the chamber or cones have been lengthened.
End of chamber, 9" from breech and muzzle, and overall MWT are the numbers commonly reported. A dealer's listing of only MWT means little.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

C guy - any follow up from Pete regarding his US wall thickness gauge and his acceptable numbers; end of chamber, 9" from breech and muzzle, and overall MWT?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Rule 18 of the "Rules, Regulations and Scales" published by the Guardians of the Birmingham Proof House stipulates the bore be measure 23 cm(9.055")from the breech face. Wall thickness must be considered the whole distance of the tube by especially in the area it could be dangerous as Drew has pointed out. The proof house does not have a minimum wall thickness required. Tube set must simply pass proof.

http://www.gunproof.com/Proof_Memoranda/RULESOFP.PDF

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
C guy - any follow up from Pete regarding his US wall thickness gauge and his acceptable numbers; end of chamber, 9" from breech and muzzle, and overall MWT?

Haven't talked to Pete for a while. I am leaving shortly for fishing in Idaho, will talk to Pete when I get back and post up here to let you know.

Mike

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.