April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 3 invisible), 417 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

No the Ad itself says it is a Darne type 10 Gauge Not Marked. I would presume this to be an R10. It was placed in the 10 ga category, likely by someone who mis-understood the ad.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

They had ad while back stating that a double that had firing pin bushing was equipped with three firing pins! Bobby

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Would you call the wood on that gun to be understated to the max.?

One doesn't usually consider the purchase of a Halifax or R10 based on the excellent lumber attached to the gun. They are the 311s of Europe.
There do exist exceptions, however:

I've had worse wood than that on guns of all types. On a hunting/shooting implement, I'm more concerned that it be free of weird grain in the wrist. Regardless of how the worlds outmost forefitter has this one priced, it is an implement.

R10s are my favorite hunting guns. I have one more R10 to be restocked to my left handed dimensions. With nice wood. AND, it has great triggers.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the Cabela's Gun Libraries in MI has offered an Ideal Grade 16 gauge- 28" barrels, DT, Ej-- FWE- rough shape- I have looked it over 3 times, using my choke and chambers gauges- it is a 20, not a 16- think they would have changed the hang tag by now. Stock was shortened for a more youthful shooter than myself, and the previous owner(s) "rode it hard and put it up wet"- ejectors are gummed up, and yet they offered it at $3350 plus 6% tax. What a deal??

Hope when Bass- Pros take over, they bring some sense to the GL pricing and also ID'ing of the guns they are trying to schelp to the unwary--..

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/15/17 10:56 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's sure the prettiest R10 I've seen! So why would you prefer the R10 in particular for hunting over other R model Darnes?

Sidelock
Sidelock

As proof in France was not compulsory until 1910/20 why should it have any markings ? SO if it was mad prior to compulsory proof it wont have them Its a ten bore ,end of .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That Cabela Darne looks like it has the full ribs--top and bottom--rather than the heavily swamped "bande plume". The latter has always appealed to me as offering less concealed area between the barrels for unseen corrosion to occur. I'd also guess that it allows more metal to be carried on the barrel walls for a given weight and balance, maybe part of how Darne and Manufrance managed to build guns that somehow combine light weight, lively balance, and meaty barrels. Anyone have experience/opinions about the full-ribbed Darnes?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
As proof in France was not compulsory until 1910/20 why should it have any markings ? SO if it was mad prior to compulsory proof it wont have them Its a ten bore ,end of .

http://www.shotguns.se/html/france.html

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: billwolfe
That's sure the prettiest R10 I've seen! So why would you prefer the R10 in particular for hunting over other R model Darnes?

I'm lefthanded, and I prefer not to have a bunch of money in purchase price on a gun I'm going to have to modify to fit me. The R10 above, with the pretty wood, was a back bored trade in back when I was in the business. I think I have $200-$300 total into the wood, restock, and the sling. I was there when the stock was whittled out to fit me.

My hunting would be considered rough hunting, and an extremely valuable gun would be out of place there. R10s are perfect for that.

All my R10s, at the moment, (3, two 12s and a 20) and my Halifax have ribs top and bottom. My V19 has just a raised rib top, and no under rib.
You can keep the V19 very sanitary between the barrels, but, It doesn't have a spot to mount a swivel for a sling. I have a brettele Darne (sling) on that gun.

The guns with both ribs typically have a nice balance forward feel. I actually prefer a swamped rib, but, don't own one at the moment. When Darne shopping, here, in the US, you will likely have to make some compromises to get something you can work with and use. You actually have to do that with most off the shelf guns, but, it can be acute with a Darne.

I measured the back bored R10, I didn't have that work done, but, somebody back in the day did, and it still has .060 minimum wall. It has a pimple bulge also. At the same time, most of the choke was removed from both tubes, I think it is cylinder /improved cylinder now. I have never worried too much about the flaws, as the guys at the factory didn't see anything to worry about, and I have used it pretty hard for the last 23 years.

Lots of pheasants and grouse fell to that gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman

Gunman,
When you see a cyanide colored Darne always remember you are looking at a post WWII gun. The process was not used pre war, and positively identifies any gun with that treatment as post WWII.

The compulsory thing about French guns is a moot point. Nobody in France would have purchased guns that were not proofed, so, they all were. Even before it was required by law.

I'd be willing to bet things would have been the same in England, had that been the case.

I promise everyone here, that if this gun had actually been a 10, it would have sold the day the add appeared. I expect the price will remain elevated for some time, guessing that the response from guys who thought they may have a line on a Darne 10 generated for Cabelas.

A ten gauge Darne is right up there with a pie bald unicorn.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.