March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 797 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#486301 07/22/17 07:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Other than reading the fine posts, discussions, and threads on this forum in regards to Belgian double manufacturers, I have been trying looking for other locations to glean as much information as I can on this country's gunmakers. I have also attempted to use littlegun.be as a resource, but it is sometimes challenging to find good information on that site. That has been my experience anyways. I know there is a lot of debate in regards to the Belgian makers. Some generalize and say they are all dangerous junk and yet others cite specific makers as fine artisans and craftsman. So, in an attempt to source additional information I have a few specific questions.

1. Is there any good books out there to help me identify the various makers and give me a general idea of their relative quality in build? I'm looking for something in English preferably.

2. I've previously read that Belgians made prior to 1924 should be avoided. Is this a fact? I know most guns should be evaluated based on their individual merits, but lets say in general terms, are Belgian guns made after 1924 safer? How was the general Belgian build in say the 40s, 50s, and 60s?

3. This is a longshot, but would anyone know of a source for some Belgian parts? I'm currently looking for what appears to be the standard Belgian A&D-type push button forend for a 16 gauge field gun I have. I'm also looking for a butt stock for an FN Anson gun in 12. I considered buying some parts guns from Simpsons and attempting to fit the parts myself, but perhaps this is a fools errand.

I hope no one takes my questions as offensive. There's a lot of good information, as well as a lot of opinion based disinformation on the internet and I would like to have a reputable reference to lean upon when making gun buying decisions. My interests are not just in best gun makers, but also the more affordable field guns. Thanks for any help you can offer. Again, I have been reading this forum for years and there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone with a Lebeau Courally might object to that 1924 date.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20l/a%20lebeau%20courally%20gb.htm

If you find a good book in English let me know, will ya? smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For modestly priced but well made shotguns you could look at some from Pieper....in particular from the version of Pieper called "Anciens Establishments Pieper". These are SxS game guns.

Henri Pieper was a co-founder and original managing director of FN.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to go wrong with a Francotte. They're likely the most commonly seen Belgian guns in this country. And they run the gamut, from field grade (Knockabout) to really high grade guns. But all well-made.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You can get a lot of Belgian gun for the money these days, too. It's a smart idea to be looking at Belgian makers in the current market.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
You can get a lot of Belgian gun for the money these days, too. It's a smart idea to be looking at Belgian makers in the current market.

While that is undoubtedly true, you have to be careful. You can buy a very fine gun from a small Belgian maker who's relatively unknown in this country, maybe half the price of an equivalent British double. Good buy in terms of "gun for the money" . . . but maybe not if and when it comes time to sell it.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Larry, you pay less now to buy and sell for less in the future. What's the difference? Not all guns are collector guns. Some are meant to be used.

Because I know enough to trust my judgement of the gun itself, rather than depend on the branding, I'd rather pay $900 now and sell it in 10 years for $800 than pay $9000 now and sell it in 10 years for $8000.

Just means I didn't have $8000 tied up.

Please note, prices are exaggerated for emphasis and to help clearly explain the arithmetic.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input. Mr. Owen's comment was the reason for for my interest in the first place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Strange confluence of internet events; this thread was a sticky but disappeared into internet space about 3 years ago, and was just rediscovered. Anyway - might be helpful
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=232252

Von Lengerke & Detmold were major Francotte importers and sales records still exist. A research letter can be requested from Bob Beach, who has also graciously provided information on this Forum
http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm

VL&D booth at the first annual Sportsmen's Exposition in Madison Square Garden, New York, 1895
Sporting Life
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_25_NO_09/SL2509025.pdf
Forest & Stream
https://books.google.com/books?id=n0IhAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA419&lpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.