March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#486654 07/28/17 10:04 AM
tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In response to George asking about posting a picture or two about flint arrows-- here's a few--

Here you go George---
The flintwork was done by a Pal, the rest of the arrow work by me. Mostly cane shafts with hardwood fore-ends, one with a footed shaft.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's neat. Can you give a description of the materials and process for attaching the points ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks very much for posting! Very nice! Conjures thoughts of how the earliest Americans made a living. Very nice work! Certainly art and museum quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely neat. There used to be a flint knappers convention held in Central Louisiana many years ago and I loved to go watch. Those men made arrows, axes, spears, bows, and most anything to do with Indian lore. I have some arrows a friend made for me. In LA it is illegal to bow hunt with flint arrows or I would have done it.

At the NMLRA shoots in Friendship, Indiana there were always gun flint knappers from England and they were fascinating to watch. Great photos and thanks for the post.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, when I made primitive bows and arrows, I used hide glue and sinew to bind points to hickory foreshafts into rivercane. I fletched using wild turkey feathers bound to the shaft with sinew. My flint knapping was no where near the craftsmanship of Geo's. His work is as good as any you'll seen in NatGeo.

A local man killed a Pope and Young record buck using a primitive hickory bow, rivercane arrows and knapped point. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work. Accurate reproduction of actual named point types. The work on the arrows themselves is excellent as well. What'd you use to lash'em on with? I started out with sinew but decided un-waxed dental floss worked better. No doubt in my mind the Native Americans would have used it as well had they had any...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work! I'm still at the Mousterian level, but I did skin a smallish (90+ pound) piggie with one of my obsidian knives last fall. I suspect it took me five times as long as a real Neolithic chap!

Our part of CA didn't have great cane for arrow shafts until us whiteyes showed up, but the locals in many cases made do with the carrizo cane, from which they also extracted sugar (not much, and no, they couldn't then re-use the cane for shafts!).

Keep in mind that actual arrow making is real new in the New World; most of our subarctic prehistory was spent hunting with an atlatl with REALLY BIG arrows--archeologists seem to agree (as if they ever really agree on anything) that the bow arrived in our neck of the woods about +- 500 AD).

Little stuff got netted or whopped with a non-return boomerang ("rabbit stick". I used to be OK with one of those before my folks let me buy a .410).

I had a neighbor back in upstate NYS who was truly deadly with an atlatl and (big) dart. As accurate as I was at 25 yards with a Bear recurve and modern arrows. Needless to say, he was kinda compulsive guy....

Last edited by Mike A.; 07/28/17 04:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a boy I picked up arrows points and other artifacts all over my fathers farm. At one time there had been an Indian village next to a small spring feed creek. I guess what I found were those points lost in hunting or discarded when no longer functional. Who knows how many I saw while cultivating beans or corn and could not stop the tractor before I covered them over. Many I did collect but some seemed to tunnel away if I covered them up. I also found countless segments of clay pipe and more than a few pipe bowls. I even found their local white clay source they used to make them out of. My pipes even looked a lot like the originals.

I admire the skill required to nap stone. Given time I'm sure I could make a decent point if I had a full mountain to start with. Perhaps it might take a little more. I knew a fellow who could make a very nice skinning tool which with he could skin a deer out with almost as fast as I could do with a steel knife. That edge he got was scary quick to cut a finger which got into the way. It was not so much a knife as a oblong curved tool. It stayed sharp a very long time and was fairly easy to control.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I enjoy searching for points and other Indian artifacts thanks for the pictures. Bobby

tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, my buddy has been knapping for years and can bang one out in a really short time these days. I tried doing it more than a few times and always came away a bloody mess with a pile of junk at my feet.

In the center of the top box are a couple of original points (the grey ones)I found while bowhunting for pigs and Javelina down in Southern Texas, near Catula. My pal made a replica of it and it's sitting next to it.

7 of us were on a 3 day hunt and found over 30 complete heads and many broken ones.
Can't imagine the activity that was going on there for us to find so many.

The material in the points are mostly chert and obsidian. A couple of points in the top box are made of Whitetail leg bone. I haft the points with deer backstrap sinew and hide glue. Sinew and hide glue for the feathers as well. Lately been smearing a bit of pitch over the sinew to help with water proofing.

"It's a good day for something"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.