March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is well noted I did not state I "Believed" that Lefever's taper choke would produce 75% patterns with all sizes of Drop Shot, no lees, from #8 through FF.
Also I have shot various Lefevers for the past 49 years & have noted no particular reduction in recoil resulting from that taper choke.
I do not actually recall Drew saying he particularly believed the Meriden Hype.
We both simply noted what the catalogs of the day said.
In much more recent times "over-boring" has received much press. It has been stated that increasing the bore diameter reduces the friction thus allowing for higher velocities while simultaneously reducing recoil. I didn't buy that Hype either.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan - Your description sounds like you found a real winner!! Have enjoyed ML Shotguns for many years. Have fun with yours and I hope you find the loads that give you the patterns needed Best,
Dave

2-piper #487744 08/12/17 09:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, I think the Lefever fully tapered boring info was published in a Lefever Newsletter. I had two guns which had bores tapered from the breech to the muzzle. One was a D M Lefever crossbolt Optimus and the other was a D M Lefever crossbolt 5B. I never shot either gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Dave. it was a gift from a friend who hunted deer on my place for many years. He and I were both m/l rifle hunters and competitors for a long time. I would be very pleased to be able to get IC, or a bit tighter, patterns out of it. Maybe.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan - I have a W&C Scott very early 10 bore cylinder bores that I could get IC patterns with. I used shot buffer with the load. 3 card wads no fiber wads with 2 over-shot wads. Used Swiss 1 1/2F powder which I think kept pressures down and not blow patterns. Fun gun and turned more than one head while pheasant hunting :}:}
Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl;
Yes I recall reading that report. As I recall though there was a point or so where the bore dropped in diameter by a thousandth or two. The main choking was still concentrated in the last approximately 4" of the bore.
The Ad says it is tapered from "Breech" to Muzzle". I personally take this as they are saying the choke is a constant taper all the way down the barrel.
The 1908 Meriden ad Drew posted reads very much the same.
Upon reading of the extent of the bore reduction on those guns reported in the newsletter I was immediately impressed with the fact it could have just as easily been from uncorrected reamer wear as by design.
Since you said you "Had" those two guns so choked I presume you no longer have them. Did you by chance record their bore diameters at intervals along their length. Would have loved to see those dimensions & to have seen a pattern test on them. Things which I have read in the past state that for choke to work it "Must" occur at the muzzle & that a barrel with a constant taper down its full length would produce essentially a Cylinder pattern.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

My old Damascus Boss hammer gun is jug choked. Supposedly it will pattern SK/IC. I am going to pattern it as soon as it comes back from stocking with the lightest possible RST loads. I had it checked over by Mr. Merrington who pronounced it sound despite the removal of material from the muzzle area.

Owen
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.