April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, Jeremy Pearce, battle, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This huge, 500 page book, came to me a few years ago. It is written by Nicholas Niles, Jr. and is a real effort. When I received it some years ago, I thought it was maybe semi valuable and it got buried in my book stacks. The last few days I have some time and pulled the book out and sat on the deck and read it for a few hours. That's what it is about-----affordable American shotguns, but I am finding the history of same quite interesting. There are latterly thousands of names and brands in the book, all put into some decent order, which is hard to do. If any of you like older American shotguns, mostly made to sell at a lower price, you will like this. If not, the history of the American Arms Industry is quite interesting.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have that book also I think it is amazing lots of research went into that book. GREAT BOOK

Co-Writer of the new book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns,
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out ALBRIS Book selling for $62.00

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that there is a lot of information in the book but it is perhaps one of the most poorly written and edited manuscripts I've ever seen in print. The organization is basically non-existent, the author repeats himself constantly and his amateurish forced use of capitalization and quotation marks around otherwise common terms is maddening. If ever there was an argument against self-publishing, this is it. This was an author in desperate need of an editor.

Otherwise, it's great.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 08/23/17 02:46 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bladeswitcher, your thoughts are good. I first handled it and put it down, but yesterday, with maybe more interest in those things, I picked it up again and enjoyed the immense effort and research that went into it.

I can forgive self published books and bow to the effort put into them and the cost of publishing. I try to buy EVERY book on our subject that the authors put out. I am sure not many make any money for their efforts.

In that vein, I just ordered Old Wildfowler's book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns, and look forward to seeing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
bladeswitcher, your thoughts are good. I first handled it and put it down, but yesterday, with maybe more interest in those things, I picked it up again and enjoyed the immense effort and research that went into it.

I can forgive self published books and bow to the effort put into them and the cost of publishing. I try to buy EVERY book on our subject that the authors put out. I am sure not many make any money for their efforts . . .

I own the book but find it maddening to try to use. It's one thing to read a chapter and try to absorb what the author is saying. It's something else to try to use the book as a reference. I've had occasions when someone presented me with an old shotgun and I turned to Niles' book to find some information. Talk about a frustrating experience.

The writing itself isn't so bad (though it's not particularly good, either), but the editing is terrible. There is no adherence to standard rules of style. He mixes up capitalization, italics, bold face fonts and quotation marks in seemingly random and unnecessary ways. Particularly annoying is his practice of capitalizing and enclosing in quotations the word "Affordable" throughout the book. I suppose he believes he's created a new category of firearm and wants to milk it for all it's worth. Drives me crazy . . .

Again, if ever there was an author in need of an editor. The savings in paper and printing cost alone would have paid for a good editor's services.

ETA: I'm curious, have others found the author's research credible? Seems like he engages in a lot of speculation.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 08/23/17 03:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the book. Could it have been better? Yes. Does it engage in a lot of speculation? In places, yes. Look back at the works from Carder and Vorisek. They also tossed around speculation. Thats what you do when no records remain. I have read through my copy of Niles' work three times. It was written by an enthusiast that did his best from his home office to convey his study. Several of the manufacturers get little coverage, but what Nick, I believe, really clarifies are the guns manufacturered by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. and its' history. There are at least 12 variations of the Crescent hammer sidelocks, and the book separates them all chronologically, by design features, and a quite close estimate (read that speculation) of serial number by variant. These were the guns sold to the masses. And Nick, may not be the author we were expecting, but he made the attempt. I think it was a good one.

John

Last edited by John E; 08/23/17 08:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you would like to read a well written, IMO, self published book, get a copy of J P Clabrough by Larry Shelton. I understand it took him a long long time to research and write.

Very interesting read for any English shotgun enthusiast.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
I have the book. Could it have been better? Yes. Does it engage in a lot of speculation? In places, yes. Look back at the works from Carder and Vorisek. They also tossed around speculation. Thats what you do when no records remain. I have read through my copy of Niles' work three times. It was written by an enthusiast that did his best from his home office to convey his study. Several of the manufacturers get little coverage, but what Nick, I believe, really clarifies are the guns manufacturered by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. and its' history. There are at least 12 variations of the Crescent hammer sidelocks, and the book separates them all chronologically, by design features, and a quite close estimate (read that speculation) of serial number by variant. These were the guns sold to the masses. And Nick, may not be the author we were expecting, but he made the attempt. I think it was a good one.

John

Your characterization is certainly more generous and fair than mine. You're right, the author deserves a lot of credit for the work he's done. I just wish he had hired an editor. (In the interest of full disclosure, I was a publication editor for 20+ years so I'm probably more offended by the stylistic things than most readers).

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Affordable" is a rather ephemeral and loosely defined term when we're talking about our doubles. What is affordable to me may well be totally out of reach to a young guy with a crappy job, several kids, and a mortgage. But it might seem like bottom feeding to someone in the upper income brackets. I skimmed though the book about 10 years ago at a gun show and didn't buy it then for an asking price of $20.00, as I recall. it was disorganized. But I'd buy a copy for a reasonable price today, given the chance, just to have access to a listing of obscure names and makers.

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
The writing itself isn't so bad (though it's not particularly good, either), but the editing is terrible. There is no adherence to standard rules of style. He mixes up capitalization, italics, bold face fonts and quotation marks in seemingly random and unnecessary ways.

On the other hand... it appears that you may have discovered that ed good is the real author of this book.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.