May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
Boxlock

Our book was self published but we have a very good editor, a great graphic artist and it was printed in Michigan NOT CHINA

Co-Writer of the new book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns,
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old wildfowler
Our book was self published but we have a very good editor, a great graphic artist and it was printed in Michigan NOT CHINA

Who said it was?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the potential problems of self publishing can be chosen to be overlook. I can't speak about this book, but I think traditional publishers would turn down such narrow focus, likely low volume pieces. I think there are many very good examples of books that the time and effort put in could never be recovered other than some satisfaction. There are many believable stories of research, notes and manuscripts lost when someone passes on. Now, self publishing may be an option.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How many decades ago did we only have Bob Hinman's Golden Age of Shotguns ? When this book was written, that's all we had. When the douglegunshop bbs, which had another name, started, this book was used to answer many questions. Now, we never hear about it. The internet has progressed so that there are so many more learned shotgun lovers. The Niles book is the best since then, covering way more than Hinman did. Of course there are errors and left outs, and I see them in my limited specialty interests. But, the book is of great value to collectors. I would rate "something to say" ahead of great pictures, great editing , and where the book was published. I really don't care about pictures with tobacco pipes, tweeds, and maybe a few dried leaves. Also don't care about paragraphs full of little research, both of which we get in magazines nowadays, but informercials of how we can get there.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 08/24/17 02:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed Muderlak, (I presume after his illness was diagnosed) Posted right here where the specialty gun book publishing system was, and the direction it was headed in. Over a decade ago.

He was prescient beyond measure on the matter.

I buy some self published books, No e-books, and often wish people would spring for some editing of their treasures.

RIP Ed.
And thanks for your hard work.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
How many decades ago did we only have Bob Hinman's Golden Age of Shotguns ? When this book was written, that's all we had. When the douglegunshop bbs, which had another name, started, this book was used to answer many questions. Now, we never hear about it. The internet has progressed so that there are so many more learned shotgun lovers. The Niles book is the best since then, covering way more than Hinman did. Of course there are errors and left outs, and I see them in my limited specialty interests. But, the book is of great value to collectors. I would rate "something to say" ahead of great pictures, great editing , and where the book was published. I really don't care about pictures with tobacco pipes, tweeds, and maybe a few dried leaves. Also don't care about paragraphs full of little research, both of which we get in magazines nowadays, but informercials of how we can get there.

Now I feel bad. I guess I'm just the guy standing on the outside throwing rocks at the guy in the arena.

Niles' book is definitely chock full of information. So much information that it sometimes feels like trying to drink from a fire hose. There are so many charts and lists that you don't know where to turn. It's sort of like a library with all the books tossed on the floor.

I guess what I'm saying is while the information is great, it could have been better if it were presented more coherently.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bladeswicher, I understand your point. But I do not wish, in any way, to discourage anyone from writing about our interests. I run across many "writers" who cannot afford the time to do research for an article, because a deadline approaches. I give big hugs to a fellow who sits at his desk, compiles a lifetime of research, and ends up with "something to say". It may not be in the best form, but is worth much more than good form, with very little to say.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....I buy some self published books, No e-books, and often wish people would spring for some editing of their treasures....

I wonder what a decent editing service or editor would cost. It seems to make a difference if the editor is familiar with the topic. I can recall conversing with a fellow that published a few books that're known but likely have a narrow audience. He mentioned having a final draft of a second edition to one of his earlier books ready to go, but he didn't want to spring for the several thousand dollars it was going to cost at his advanced age. I thought at the time that wasn't much to hold up the project, but paying an editor might have doubled the cost?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would bet you could find a "readability" editor on any college campus for 20$/hr.
They would find all the misspellings, incorrect word choices, and corrupted sentences etc, pretty quckly.
For good research structure, that's a kind of wrote formatting, taught in MA studies of English literature or Writing.

My kid is a Legislation Editor down at our state capital, she bill's out at about 75$/hr.

I bet you could clean up enough in one visit to make a book easier to use as a reference. Indices, biblio, etc.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I caught the double fever here in (I think) 1985, started buying American doubles, a Parker among them and bought Peter H. Johnson's "Parker, America's Finest Shotgun." I took away from comments on the book that assistance would have been a big improvement.

It's a mystery to me why any author wouldn't ask another for criticism of a manuscript. Is it accurate? How about structure? Have I qualified properly those long reaches of opinion? Members here with ample skills would probably do it pro bono.

That's what friends are for. I'd put my manuscript into the hands of a person with general knowledge of the subject and the art of plain talk before an "editor" any day.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.