March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, GSPWillie, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did Meriden Firearms make guns with other brand names? I know of the A.J. Aubrey because I'm fixing one, but did they slap other companies names on their guns? I need a couple of parts, and a stock, and the search would be wider if they other guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone on the Parker Forum might be able to answer your question

Sidelock
Sidelock

Through the years, I've had a number of gun dealers who tried to tell me that the Meriden shotguns they were selling were built by Parker. There is no truth to that notion. While both guns were built in the same town, the only connection is that some workers or engravers probably worked for both companies at one time or another. We would see the same sort of thing in Detroit, for example, when auto-workers left GM to go work for Ford or Chrysler. It appears that Meriden Arms built some guns under the name Berkshire, that were also marketed by Sears Roebuck in 1912.

http://www.meridenfirearms.com/history.html

The article in the link above says some Meriden guns were built under Howard Arms Co.

Pete M. has probably done as much research on Meriden and Aubrey guns as anyone. Hopefully, he'll provide some answers.

https://meridenfirearms.wordpress.com/firearms-products/double-barrel-shotguns/

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know that I would waste my time going to the Parker forum. They are a knowledgeable bunch of guys but are really only interested in the "finer" guns. I tried and was told to ask on the double gun forum. As stated, Pete can hopefully help you out.

What gun do you have and what are you looking for? I'm trying to restore a 20ga and have some spare 12ga parts that I've collected.

Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good Keith you are 100%.

The Parker nonsense was started by some dealer who did not know better.

When Ed M was still with us, we used to talk about that and laugh. We used to hunt pheasant on his farm. He carried a Parker and I used one of my Aubrey guns.

Pete

Last edited by PeteM; 09/12/17 12:00 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: kirkp
What gun do you have and what are you looking for? I'm trying to restore a 20ga and have some spare 12ga parts that I've collected.

Thanks Kirk. From what I can tell, I need cocking rods, a buttstock, and a top lever that's not a weakling. I may need other parts associated with cocking. The iron has holes in it like something goes there as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Linn
Someone on the Parker Forum might be able to answer your question

A parker collector would not tell you much more than anyone else, other that that they have no connection to Parker.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a top lever but it's Meriden and doesn't have the engraving that a Aubrey would have (at least from what I've seen on the Numrich site). I've got some cocking rods that I'm going to try and modify for my 20ga unless I can find some original ones. Looking at Ebay there are quite a few parts listed for Meriden and Aubrey. I do have some other miscellaneous parts I could send you pics of if you like.
Kirk

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I'm not going to do anything with this one other than use the barrels to practice damascus refinishing. The stock head is collapsed into many pieces, the missing the cocking rods, bores look to be trash, etc. I don't know it's worth the effort to get it shooting again, if that's even possible with the barrel.

Thanks, and good with your 20ga.

Boxlock
Boxlock

B. Graham

I am looking for a forend for a higher grade Meriden I am refinishing right now. It came with beautiful wood and a lovely cracked wrist on the stock that I have repaired. The forend was not original, I need a forearm from a later Meriden that has the latch system. The early Meriden/Aubrey guns were just a snap on design. If you have the right forend I would buy it from you. I have bought a few "junker" Meriden guns just for parts. I found the firing pins in particular break. And, of course the stocks broke on 80% of these guns for some reason.

Also, the Meriden I have has Chain Damascus barrels and they are something to behold - I am getting set up to try and refinish my own Damascus barrels, we shall see how that goes....I have the double gun journal articles - gonna give it a go, wish me luck

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.