April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (j7l2, FlyChamps, cpa, Gunning Bird, Ted Schefelbein), 449 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Weight is a significant consideration for any upland gun. Young men can, of course, easily handle 7 or 8-pound guns but....some of the magic gets lost when a gun is unnecessarily heavy. "Six pounds in the uplands..." has been something I've read and heard several times over the years and it is now my mantra. A 12-gauge that fits well and is close to 6 1/2 pounds is a very good compromise in my book. Keep the loads lighter and a bit slower (RST 1-ounce?) and it should serve admirably.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

Don't know if it's of interest to you but there's a 24" Citori Upland Special 12ga for sale on the Upland Journal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to read it all and drive, but I agree with most of the sentiment but little of the suggestions. I don't think the specific gun matters so long as it fits the purpose or need and is clean enough to be proud of.
I got a 20 ga 1200 for Christmas at 13 yrs old and didn't wish for anything different. And I read every gun and outdoor mag cover to cover. The safety was worse than an 870 or moss 500 or Ithaca 37 for a lefty and the 28 in barrel made the whole thing a little long for a smaller kid but it was perfect in every way. No amount More money or prestige would have improved the situation. More practice could have helped. But none the less I remain a fanatic about hunting and the outdoors today.
On my only trip to South Dakota for pheasants I alternated days with that pump and my best sxs.
Does that make the 1200 perfect ? No. I'd say any gift from dad with good intent and the oppurtunity to use it is the key.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.