May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, buckstix, CJF, canvasback), 267 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,558
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Muskylew
Ted,
I hope you don't have your collection all boxed up in your basement.

No. I imagine the wife would frown on that.

My point is that about the only thing more useless than a 75 year old N.I.B. gun, that is going to remain N.I.B., is an ex girlfriend.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a shame when you spend all that time breaking them in then the next guy gets all the benefits~~

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everybody has an opinion it seems.

I have been the curator of s couple of unfired guns and it was a privilege I took great pride in. I never had the inclination to fire them... I had other similar guns to shoot and hunt with.

But to be the curator of such guns is a pretty big responsibility that we shouldn't take lightly. There are those who say, "If it was mine I would shoot it as often as I could." forgetting or disregarding the fact that these are benchmark guns and are only such as long as the curators or caretakers honor that responsibility, not only to the gun but to the collecting fraternity of the future.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends on your individual perspective.

Applying 'curator' to your care of personal possessions is a bit of a stretch. I would listen closer to that argument should you have donated the pieces to Cody or the National Firearms Museum.

There exist two flight ready Saturn V's. There's also a prototype of sorts in Huntsville that could have served the 'museum' function had the flight ready units been flown.

It's kind of nice to be able to view the preserved 'Real McCoy', but my opinion is the fact they were never flown is a national disgrace.

They never got to do what they were designed and built to do, and the key point is that humanity as a whole would have been better served had they been used as intended.

Space hardware isn't a very exact analogy but when I see an unused gun, even a pristine very rare one, I find the motivation of the previous owners to be a bit curious.

Shooters vs Collectors I suppose.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 for DAM16sxs. Count me as one of those 'curious' people, even if maybe more than a 'bit.'
Some of us think it important to preserve the few remaining original condition and finish guns as manufactured. NIB if it came in a box, etc. This is the only way we know what they looked like as new. A gun is only original once. For many here its a moot point and that is your. business. But it is really important for those of us who value a gun's (or other things) original as new condition.
If the buyer of one of those gorgeous fox guns wants to drag it to the duck blind, of kick around in the truck or boat-so be it. No skin off my nose BUT I doubt that will happen.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 09/16/17 08:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as he keeps buying guns. Its his, he does what he wants with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks guy, I don't know what I'd do without you.

I recently bought a 12 gauge Model 12. That's all I need. And to be frank that's all I ever really needed. [/quote]

Well if you settled for Model 12 Featherweight with short barrel (in this model 12ga 26" 1/4 choke) or 16ga standard Model 12 with barrel of similar specs you would not only own the best upland pump Winchester ever made but one of the best shotguns for that purpose ever created. Big bonus is you would be able to use upland or target steel loads for hunting if required no problemo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Applying 'curator' to your care of personal possessions is a bit of a stretch.

Shooters vs Collectors I suppose.

You need to exchange word 'curator' for 'investor'. Many guys who buy old guns in top original shape in factory cardboard boxes often rationalize high cost of purchase as "investment against inflation". It is effective defensive technique that can be used against significant other when they don't share the passion and find out about latest expensive purchase. Is there anything wrong with that?
No.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't remember ever buying a gun because of its possible increase in value. I have had an emotional attachment to every gun I have ever bought, I think. The value of my collection at the present time is a result of sixty years of picking and choosing and loving every one of them. The increase in value is a happy accident.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always figured the guns didn't really "go up in value".

The money simply became worth less.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.