May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (graybeardtmm3, 67galaxie, buckstix, Ducks Rx, LRF, 1 invisible), 215 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,534
Posts545,976
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the event that the "banned" wish to see the SSM response: Hopefully, all this will have a soft landing for all.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:26 am Post subject: An Open Letter to Participants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you may be aware, a number of members of this Bulletin Board recently were banned from participating. This was unfortunate. The reasons for the bannings varied, but the common thread was that we felt that these individuals had violated our Netiquette Guidelines.

The purpose of Shooting Sportsman hosting this Board is, and I quote from our Guidelines: “to promote the polite and free exchange of ideas and information regarding wingshooting & guns, as well as to foster a community of like-minded sportsmen. Because it is a property of Shooting Sportsman, the Board should reflect the flavor and feel of the publication, and posts should be made in the spirit of good taste and sportsmanship.” The moderators of this site always have done their best to uphold these standards and use their best judgment in evaluating posts and posters.

As with most things in life, not everyone sees eye to eye, and occasionally participants have felt that the Guidelines are too stringent or the moderators unfair in their enforcement of them. Some of these individuals have chosen to outright violate the Guidelines and suffer the consequences; others have opted to push the limits time and again until the cumulative effect is to be banned. The investment in time, effort and, yes, emotions by our moderators in dealing with these individuals has cost us untold productivity and revenues.

In some cases when members have repeatedly challenged our decisions, we have encouraged them to find other Websites where they can post their views or to start their own Websites. After all, we have nothing against free speech; we simply choose not to host material that we find distasteful or that reflects badly on Shooting Sportsman, its readers and/or its advertisers. Well, some of the individuals who have been banned from our site recently did start their own. It was called “SSMBBS SUCKS,” and as you might imagine, it was not flattering to our magazine, some of our staff and some of the current participants on this Board. Now, we can take criticisms as well as the next guy, but if you had visited the site (and I use the past tense, as it seems to have disappeared), you’d have seen that the postings crossed way over the line. The insults, foul language, impersonation, bigotry, racism and cruel attempts at humor were nothing but mean-spirited, indecent and downright shameful. The site was everything that we have not wanted ours to become, and it was a perfect example of what our site, if left un-moderated, likely would degrade into. It confirmed that we have made the right decision in enforcing our Netiquette Guidelines and trying to uphold standards.

In these trying times, I understand that it is occasionally difficult to remain levelheaded and not get carried away by emotion. Logic and reason seem absent from a lot of what’s going on in the world. But on this Board we feel safe erring on the side of some basic values. We simply ask every participant to think before he/she posts and to act responsibly in what is essentially a public place.

As mentioned, our mission with this Board is to provide a forum for the respectful exchange of ideas and information. We will continue to do this and make every effort to maintain a high level of decorum and civil communication. We appreciate your cooperation in helping us achieve this goal.

Ralph Stuart
Editor in Chief
Shooting Sportsman

Thanks for posting this, pj. Well said, Mr. Stuart!

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still the same old Jack...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't Jack get banned from the Shooting Sportsman Bulletin board a couple of years ago?

Last edited by Erik330; 07/20/07 12:23 PM.

No, Erik - I got tired of the petty personal jabbing years ago, posted a polite "thanks, but I'm outta here," and left SSBB voluntarily. I did the same more recently with another wingshooting EBB, for the same reason.

But many years ago I did get booted from the old and troubled Coffee Shop after someone hacked in and made obscene posts under my name. It turned out to be a favor, though, as the site hacking continued and Coffee Shop went belly up soon after - kinda like being booted into a lifeboat just before Titanic hit the iceberg.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

THAT'S right. The alloutdoors bulletin board. So many boards, so little time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have given very little attention to the P&P section since I discovered years ago that not all outdoor and gun guys share my political views. I'm still amazed by that discovery!! And I still give very little attention to the P&P section.

Originally Posted By: Geoff Roznak
Still the same old Jack...

Running out of places to spread your bile these days, Geoff?

We saw the sort of freewheeling intellectual exchange you guys have been clamoring for all this time on SSM.

Pathetic.

Good luck with those anger management issues, buddy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"...insults, foul language, impersonation, bigotry, racism and cruel humor"

Ahhhhhh, my kind of bar. Another cold one for me and a round for my friends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer the real Yeti to the anti-Yeti. I mean that.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.