April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Keith, a good point. I look at it as a opportunity to educate someone on their inventory, but most dealers are not very receptive when you try it. I always say I'm not interested in the gun before I offer my opinions, but my experience is that when I provide it they usually look at me like I was from Mars. Especially if they've either done the work themselves, or overpaid for the gun.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't find many sellers that will take those comments and run with them. Most respond with a pugilistic comment that just further proves their lack of knowledge. I know people who have thousands of dollars in double guns and still insist on spending money on really bad guns. There is the possibility that they know better but just can't help themselves when presented with a near impossible project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some people have manners, and some do not.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Some people have manners, and some do not.

Exactly! That's why I have frequently reminded some individuals here that dishonesty is not civility. Fake manners is precisely that... fake. I'd rather take the chance that my comment about poor restoration or insane pricing might be somewhat offensive, than to perpetuate such behaviors and see more guns ruined by fools and frauds.

On a related note, you should have seen some of the looks I got at gunshows when ammo prices skyrocketed a few years back. Guys were crowding around ammo vendors clamoring to pay $50-60 for a brick of .22LR or nearly a buck a round for 5.56m/m ammo to feed their AR's. And I would casually stroll by and loudly ask my buddy, "How many of these guys were stupid enough to vote for Obama?" The cold glares from the guilty were priceless.

Last edited by keith; 09/24/17 10:31 AM. Reason: Damn auto-complete got me again.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I usually don't say anything unless asked. I've had a run in or two with dealers misrepresenting the grade of Darne guns at shows, but, that was more of a problem before Al Gore junior invented the internet. If you get taken now, shame on you, that information is out there.
A long time ago, I did ask a dealer about a Baker I was interested in, as to whether it was an "A" or an "R", as I didn't know enough about them to know for sure. He told me he didn't give a crap (not the exact word he used) about any letters on the gun, just the numbers on the price tag.
He was a dink, but, taught me a valuable lesson that day. Don't buy what you don't know.
My forays into expensive guns have been brief, and some have ended badly. The only guns I will ever make money on, I made that money at the time of the buy, not when it eventually sells. I don't really collect guns, and have them to use and enjoy. None of them will look new when they are sold.
I have a model 1912, first year 20 gauge, that most would say is badly refinished. It has new wood, and was re blued, without a lot of concern for the lettering on the barrel, as it was worn off in spots from use and abuse. But, I use it, and enjoy it just the same. I have had guys drool on it, asking about the great condition, and I always gently point out it was a roach, that has been refinished, and show them how to tell.
But, that is my gun, and doing that is different than slamming their's.
I buy so little these days, it isn't worth making a huge deal out of someone else's gun to me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tend to fall in line with Keith's thinking on this subject. We do no one any good by perpetuating stupidity.

That said, it's been my experience that one can point to the obvious deficiencies in a gun (that inanimate object over there that has no feelings) without insulting the seller of the gun (the live person standing beside me who clearly does have feelings). I choose my words carefully, never referencing the choices that have been made. Choices are human. I simply address what is wrong with the gun and how it should be.

As a potential customer, there is nothing offensive about explaining why I am or am not interested in a specific gun. The seller can do what he wants with that info....write me off as an idiot, learn something, scratch his head in wonder....I don't really care. What I won't do is insult him or his choices.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good post, James. I don't know if it's a case of perpetuating stupidity, though. We're all ignorant, only in different ways. My experience is cool has displaced thunder in negotiating/educating i.e. children to eat turnips or adults to see things differently---because it works.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd should be along shortly to explain to you how wrong you are King. Politely of course.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also think there is a difference between a private seller and a dealer.

Dealers often have just enough knowledge to make stupid mistakes and to believe their own bullshit. They are used to being perceived as knowing more than they actually do. And they don't like it when they are caught out.

Private sellers are often more open to learning when they run across someone who is polite but appears to know more about that thing they own than they do.

I could be wrong but I think 30 years of professional selling has taught me a little about human nature.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being alive 55 years has taught me a little about human nature.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.