Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot sporting clays reguarly with a group of guys and we mostly shoot side by sides. Not to say sometimes you see the O&U. All are middle aged to senior. There are Purdey's, Holland's, Bosses Piotis and various other makers.
I have started shooting a Garbi 101, 12 bore with long barrels.
English Best's are expensive and repairing a broken spring or some other damage can get costly.
Afew years ago while shooting my Atkin, I broke a left cocking spring. It is a spring opener so the inards are much like a Purdey. Only a few people in the US can even make that spring.
While in for repairs it needed a new hinge pin, a left cocking spring and a top lever spring and a strip and clean.
All in all a very expensive day at the Best gun doctor.
Now I still shoot my nice side by sides but I still favor the old Spainard.

Last edited by PALUNC; 09/24/17 05:43 PM.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently cleared my safe of my O/U's and kept my SxS's. I think that as the younger people age, they will come to appreciate the handling and feel of a trim double trigger SxS. Waning or not my SxS's are in the safe to stay. I attend a number of SxS shoots to embrace the SxS expierence.

CZ, Odd that they would encourage period attire, only to swing the O/U's. It was nice shooting with you today, thanks for making the trip down.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 09/24/17 06:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Karl,
Same here.

Lord knows, based on the volume of patients in my infirmary, a migration to Italian O/U's is perhaps one of practicality for commercial shoots.

If I am considering a bespoke .410, that's a sure sign I am reaching my saturation point with worn guns.

But that's different than people just not being interested in SxS's anymore.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They haven't disappeared around here although they are not commonly seen. Diehard dinosaurs like myself stay with them by handloading to reasonable pressures. I've never seen waterfowl in all conditions that couldn't be handled with 2 3/4-inch and a load of No. 4s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At several recent local Sporting Clay shoots, I was the only one shootinga a SxS.

The time for SxS's has passed; but a few of us Old Guys still hang in...for a while longer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OU's are only a fad. The madness will pass, and people will return to their senses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why is it then that when I see a nice SxS offered at a reasonable price, it is sold when I contact the seller.
Any amount of those basket case proud owner overpriced guns, weather SxS or O&U stay advertised for years.
The right thing at the right price will always sell, real estate, cars or guns.
O.M

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
OU's are only a fad. The madness will pass, and people will return to their senses.

Hope you are right, Larry.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you think percussion double shooters said this center fire madness will end In time and then they will return to their percussion doubles? I am sure some did.

We like archaic relics. We don't care about state of the art. Our state of the art was perfected a hundred years ago. So when we see others flock to plastic guns, to O/U or other non doubles we can't be surprised. Others chase state of the art just as much as we cling to SxS.

In time quality guns will always have a market. Mid level gun to some extent. Low grade guns will only have utility value. Right now low grade guns are very hard to sell. Seems all the cowboys have bought all these want.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my part of the woods you won't see a SxS on the shelf at the gun stores and not that many at the gun shows. If they are not readily available we can't expect the uninitiated to purchase them. Besides, almost all SxS now-a-days are second hand and it takes a bit of knowledge to decipher what you are looking at. That knowledge takes time to acquire and not all that many are interested.

At the gun store where I occasionally purchase a SxS they are kept in the back to make room for what readily sells. You have to now to ask if anything new has come in on trade or consignment.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.