March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 81 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a current pic, but just checking to see if my PB account still works...Geo

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, went out after work today, solo. Didn't see but 3, it was a bit windy. 2 of the birds were wild, but the 3rd one didn't get away.

I was using my 16ga Carl Goluch

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was lucky to close out the last day of early teal season here in the lowcountry. I was also fortunate to get an invite to where the landowner’s father in the 1970’s resurrected the growing of Carolina Gold rice. Carolina Gold was the finest rice grown in America 200 years ago in the lowcountry. It had not been grown commercially since the 1800’s. This plantation is not far from the southernmost tip of South Carolina’s high ground before it ends at the marshland and barrier islands. Irma pushed a tidal surge into this ricefield, knocking down acres of rice which attracted hundreds of Blue Wing Teal. Five guns that shot limited this morning. It was over fast. No doubles were used. I had 870 (Remington) reasons not to use my doubles chief of which was I had no legal shot for them. Where you see open water is where the rice was flattened by the tidal surge. A bird taken last Saturday was banded in Watrous, Saskatchewan, in August. Floyd cooked a helluva breakfast after the hunt.

Rice:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I will be hunting in October in the Watrous/Last Mountain Lake, SK area. Blue Wing Teal are such beautiful birds after the season ends and they are in breeding plumage. Now they are all LBDs (little brown ducks) as shown in your tailgate pic.

Gil introduced me to the modern grown Carolina Gold rice. He gave me a book telling the story of its resurrection involving a Texas seed bank. I was so impressed with the story I bought a ten pound box of the rice. You wouldn't BELIEVE how much rice that is. Seven ounces makes all you can eat with supper. But it is the best rice I've ever tasted!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, don't know if you recall, but Floyd illustrated the book which was written by the former owner who is the father of the present landowner. Gil

PS: Watrous is 1800 miles away and at the top of the Central, or maybe Mississippi flyway. What's this teal doing on the Atlantic flyway??

Last edited by GLS; 09/30/17 04:27 PM. Reason: flyway question
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will President Trump's opening the Savannah River Refuge to hunting do you guys in Savannah any good, or has the Corps ruined it?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics, Gil.

Were you shooting in flip flops?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, the duck hunting will never be like it once was. The Hordes of Engineers through one boondoggle project have pushed a slug of saltwater so far inland that the natural foods aren't there like before. I know some places I'll hunt woodcock if they don't require steel shot. Spring turkey hunting has been allowed for 20 years. Stan, I lost two pairs of flip flops in the mud. Next time I'll duct tape them to my feet. There was just enough of a nor'easter to eliminate mosquitoes. It was 76 F when I got up to go hunting. I haven't seen teal like this in at least 40 years and more likely, ever. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, no game gun used, but my 20 month old Drahthaar is tearing it up in the swamp. I'll take my older Draht out tonight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking Draat, Dave. Thanks for sharing!

When I bought my GWP Willy 12 years ago, I figured I'd train one more bird dog/retriever into a one dog team. Nope, Willy won't swim, never would. She points and retrieves other game on land but insists on only picking up ducks in water up to her knees. I can do that! Had to get another Lab for duck shooting...Geo

Page 7 of 81 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.