May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bob Jurewicz, SKB, NTaxiarchis, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 901 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Treb,
The WMA is specifically managed for ruffed grouse and hunting of same. The staff operates bush hogs during the summer months, to give hunters trails into the area. There is regular clear cutting, and forestry operation, as well-I saw a timbered pile of white pine that was spectacular, large trees that would make for wonderful log homes.
We had a cold, wet spring, and the great majority of birds taken were older birds, not this year's young, as it usually is.
It really takes management of the area, to create the "checkerboard" of different age forest that is so important to woodland wildlife of all types. Otherwise, it just becomes old growth woodland monoculture, waiting for the inevitable fire to return it to emerging woodland.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful pictures!

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm back, things really pile-up when you're gone for a few weeks. More tailgate pictures for Gil:

Easily my busiest year up there, at least for the first week. My boy is 13 now and this was his first hunt. Talk how you please, handing a 13-year old a deadly weapon gives one pause. A somber moment that I made sure he recognised. We saw a few birds but he didn't connect. No worries though, he did just fine in the safety department.

Treb: Yep, my W. Richards, which just before I took that big hen Woodcock did this:

It's always something, isn't it? My back was an issue after a few miles waking, but much better than it would have been otherwise. My shooting was accordingly poor however. Lots of birds beat me to the draw many times this year.

The weather and trails were lovely again up there. Long conga-lines of trucks and ATVs to contend with anymore, however. A hard resource to share.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/15/17 05:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew it!! Ted with his 12 gauge Darne he restocked at the factory in France and you with your W. Richards.

I'm starting to nail down a few here on this board as their go to shotguns!!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I took a 20 gauge Darne on the same trip last year. Semi-pistol grip and choked just a bit too tight for the work at hand. I only brought that one gun last year.
Typically, on a trip I am traveling to, I bring only one gauge of shotgun, and, if I am using a Darne, I only need one gun. They are more than reliable enough. Lloyd asked to see the "new" (to me) Halifax, and traded me some 2 1/2" 12 gauge for 2 1/2" 16 gauge. The Halifax 12 has short chambers. I no longer own a short 16. Good deal all the way around.
That made it a 12 gauge trip for me. The Darne with the bretelle got the nod.
Could be different next year. I have a Nitro Special in 16 with cyl and mod chokes, that could use a workout, a Winchester model 1912 20 gauge, and a Remington model 17 with two barrels.
Other stuff, too. I'm not thin on shotguns.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The long drive out of the forest on my last day up there. Adapting to the Denver Metroplex again is never easy for me after Grousemas!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I hope the repair isn't too expen$ive. Some of these old girls we shoot seem to have osteoporosis of wood and metal. Your last photo of driving through pines could have been taken in my neck of the woods. Nice to see the fat doodle sitting on the tailgate. We're 7 weeks and 30 degrees F away from the season. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear the procedure you had on your back seems to be helping Lloyd, and glad to hear you and Ted and the kids got some shooting and had a great time.

I knew what you meant by the title of this thread as soon as I saw it. I don't get that feeling so much after a single day trip afield. But after spending several days or more in the outdoors and far from civilization, I actually feel kind of contaminated as soon as I get off dirt roads and hit pavement. It gets worse when I see traffic, and even worse when I get to town... which is a tiny fraction of the size of Denver.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You hit the nail on the head Keith. No wonder I'm a little depressed every year after I get back....

Gil: I'm calling the man today about what I'll need to do. I've, thankfully, got time and options.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/17/17 01:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

Glad you had a great trip. I get the same feeling you do coming back from elk hunting or from a KS pheasant hunt, the traffic brings you back to reality. However, the Denver traffic pic looks a little light!

Ken

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.