March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, how many of you are dead nuts certain that you can tell if an all original gun has never been disassembled? Do you know for absolute certain that a really professional gunsmith has not, with the extreme care they are known for, removed those screws at some point in it's, let us say, 110 year "life".

Before you answer "Yes, I'm certain I can", ask yourself this .............would I bet everything I have on my being correct, would I bet my life?"

Even the best of the experts are wrong sometimes. Hacker Martin guns fooled more than one. We see so much buggered up gun work that we sometimes forget just how good a true professional can be.

Unturned screws? My answer is "Don't bet on it". What say ye?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a DM Lefever crossbolt that had absolutely perfect screwheads when I bought it. I was certain the gun had never been disassembled from the time it was built in 1902.

A couple years after I bought it, I was reading an article about these guns in Double Gun Journal. The author of the article was now retired Oregon Gunsmith Keith Kearcher. He had some photos of one of these guns in a partially disassembled state to show the innards. The serial number seemed strangely familiar. I checked my gun and was very surprised to find that this was the same gun shown partly disassembled in the DGJ article.

I looked even closer for any sign that the screws had been turned. Nothing! I learned that day that a good gunsmith with good tools and good technique can remove and re-install screws without marring either them, or the surrounding wood and metal. There is no reason to accept anything less, and no excuse for buggering a screw myself.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Screw slot condition in conjuncction with the amount of crud in the slots coild be indicators.

Besides, does it matter really? If the gun was serviced and no sign of it shows, that is a good thing. Not a big deal of it was serviced.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree completely, Brian. It never has mattered to me. I look for condition, not that.

Think about it, those screws (pins for some of our brethren), were turned when the gun was assembled, and if assembled properly they show no evidence of being turned. Why could another craftsman not do the same?

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I agree completely, Brian. It never has mattered to me. I look for condition, not that.

Think about it, those screws (pins for some of our brethren), were turned when the gun was assembled, and if assembled properly they show no evidence of being turned. Why could another craftsman not do the same?

SRH

It's not a matter of being a craftsman, but having screw tips ground to fit pin slots and knowing how to use screwdriver correctly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
It's not a matter of being a craftsman, but having screw tips ground to fit pin slots and knowing how to use screwdriver correctly.

Why on earth would you want to grind the tips of the screws Jagermeister?

That statement makes about as much sense as a guy like you, who doesn't own even one lousy double gun, pretending you know so much about them. But I'll bet you are quite the expert when it comes to your stuffed animal toys.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I meant turn screw tips or screwdriver tips.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

It darn sure is. A true craftsman knows that having properly fitted screwdrivers, and the proper use of the same, will prevent slot damage, through experience. An unexperienced jerk could take the same turnscrews and make a mess.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan I don't doubt that a gun can be taken apart and put back together without leaving a trace. The problem is not that it has been done properly but that it has not. How many have the skill, proper training, correct tools and patience to do it right? Apparently very few based on the number of screws buggered up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So Jagermeister, you still think it's not a matter of being a craftsman? You think simply having properly ground screwdriver tips and the knowledge of how to use a screwdriver correctly will instantly turn you into a qualified gunsmith?

I see you are still trying to take away Ed Good's title of Village Idiot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.