April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (arrieta2, griz, LeFusil, Marplot, 3 invisible), 251 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,767
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 81 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blast my builders eye for seeing the broken window, scaffold & other work that needs doing.
Otherwise, nice pants.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finally got out and got this Mature bird!

Last edited by RARiddell; 10/26/17 11:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cocoa located and put up her first ruff:

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still not sure what happened this afternoon. I sat in a ground blind I have in the Alapaha River swamp east of town. I had a shooting pod set up in my blind to be sure the .270 Remington model 700 would be steady for a possible shot. I hadn't got around to sighting in this season, but wasn't worried because this gun seems to keep itself sighted in from season to season.

At 5:30pm a doe came out about 70 yards out, followed immediately by what looked like a fork horn buck. I didn't want to shoot the little buck so I waited.

A few minutes later, the doe took off running followed by a nice buck. I watched him carefully with 10x binoculars and decided he was a mature 8 point. He was big enough for a first buck of the season.

The big buck and the little guy milled around until I decided to take the shot. I lined the scope up on the base of the big buck's neck and squeezed the trigger. I saw a deer fall and kick on the ground. Then, the doe and a buck ran back across the clearing.

I figured I'd walk down and see the deer. When I got to the scene of the crime I was surprised and disappointed not to find the buck on the ground, but evidence of a severely gut shot deer. Stomach contents but not much blood.

I didn't see a blood trail at all so I circled out in arcs where the tracks indicated the deer had run. About 50 yards out from the place I hit the deer I picked up a blood trail and followed it like the yellow brick road. The deer fell or lay down three places along the blood trail. At 300 yards along, I spotted the buck on the ground again out in front of the blood trail. His head was up and the antlers didn't look quite right to me, but I finished him off with a shot to neck where it connects to the head.

I had hit him in the back haunch and the bullet must have glanced off the bone and exited through the stomach. The exit hole was big enough to have dropped the entire stomach and intestines at the shot, so the meat was not tainted by stomach fluids from my exceedingly poor shot. First time ever I've had one field dress himself!

Somehow I had managed to miss the buck I was shooting at and kill the smaller one. He was a small five point; not what I wanted, but will eat just fine.

I called one of my sons who came out with my grandson to help pull the deer out of the woods and get him in my son's truck and on to the processor.

I will go and sight in my rifle tomorrow morning and try to figure out what happened. The smaller buck was out in front of the one I shot at, so I had to have missed my target by several feet. This was either the worst shot I ever made or the luckiest!

My wife's first question was when had I last had my eyes checked. If the scope's not badly off, she might have a point...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im glad you are out in the woods! I have yet to go

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the rifle is on, and you're fairly sure you were on the bigger buck and squeezed off a good shot, go back and recreate the shot and look, in line, for a twig or small branch the bullet hit. It happens.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
Im glad you are out in the woods! I have yet to go

You know Keith, my retirement is so much fun I have no idea how I ever found the time to practice law for 45 years...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
If the rifle is on, and you're fairly sure you were on the bigger buck and squeezed off a good shot, go back and recreate the shot and look, in line, for a twig or small branch the bullet hit. It happens.

SRH

I shot from a pod, so the shot was practically benchrest. If the scope's not off, you're idea may be just what happened.

What kept me awake last night was that maybe I had not missed the big buck at all and had made a twofer. He looked healthy to me when he ran off, and the neck shot usually either misses clean or drops'em in their tracks.

I didn't try to track the big one. I guess the buzzards will tell me this weekend...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, good idea you have to shoot some paper and ease your mind one way or the other. I've had zero shift for no apparent reason from end of season to start of next season.
Mike, that's a great photo of you and Cocoa. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Geo, good idea you have to shoot some paper and ease your mind one way or the other. I've had zero shift for no apparent reason from end of season to start of next season. Gil

Gil, this rifle is composite stock with the barrel floated. When I sight in every Fall, it is always just a one shot thing with a bulls-eye at 100 yards. We'll see this morning...Geo

Page 16 of 81 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.