March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
GR8BAY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Last Fall, after cleaning my JP Sauer 20 gauge shotgun, I inserted 2 plastic Pachmayr snap caps in the shotgun. Last week I removed the gun from its case for a hunt. Upon opening the action, there was no visible snap cap in the right barrel. Fortunately the snap cap in the left barrel was still visible although it too had begun to slide down the barrel. I was able to get both snap caps out of the barrels. The plastic rim on each had disintegrated over the past year, allowing both the caps to slide down the barrels, obstructing the bores.

The snap caps are blue and marked Pachmayr, CAL.20 MADE IN ITALY.

GR8BAY Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Regarding my post, I have photos but can't figure out how to attach them.

Last edited by GR8BAY; 10/26/17 12:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I gave up long ago on plastic snap caps because of the same issues, the rims eventually break off. I use the metal ones with the fleece swabs.

http://www.bigcountrysportinggoods.com/c...XxoCt-cQAvD_BwE

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sorry to be a SA but this is a good example of why leaving ANYTHING in a gun when put away is a bad idea.
Why would you? I can think of no useful purpose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
I am sorry to be a SA but this is a good example of why leaving ANYTHING in a gun when put away is a bad idea.
Why would you? I can think of no useful purpose.

It doesn't serve any useful purpose, but some still believe that it helps keep tension of the springs. The best caps are those with hard rubber primers made of thin metal plated with nickel. For practice I use light alloy ones with spring tensioned brass primers because that is all I could find locally in 16 ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, it's good point, but there's one case where it might make sense. With a barrel-cocked gun you can chamber snap caps, relieve the springs and then take off the fore end to open the gun and remove the caps without recocking. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with a lever cocked gun like the MF Ideal. The only alternatives I come up with are leaving the gun cocked or maybe removing th barrels and snapping the strikers into a a piece of wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Solution is very simple. Make a couple of brass rods about 2" or 3" long. With the gun pointing upwards drop them down the muzzle. Snap the barrels and slide the rods out. Presto! Springs relieved without straining the firing pins.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Joe! That sounds like it would do the trick!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I relieve my gun's springs by using a horn block sold for such a purpose. I like to remove the tension before cleaning so that I don't end up pushing crud into the firing pin holes. After cleaning I reassemble the gun and into the safe it goes.
At one time I used spent shotshells to relieve the spings but that could invite disaster. My nice snap caps stay in the case.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I think it unnecessary to uncock a gun for storage, the MF Ideal is easy. Hold the triggers back with the cocking lever depressed. Continue to hold the triggers while lowering the lever. The gun is uncocked.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.