March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hoping to learn something about Darne shotgun. How rare is a 24 gauge. It is marked Halifax on the top pull levers. I am assuming this is the model.
Stock has not been cut and is still curved but a pad is installed. With the pad removed it will have a little over 14” LOP. Where might I find a buttplate?
Very nice wood but pretty plain engraving.

Last edited by Ghostrider; 11/17/17 10:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no expert on Darnes except to say I have an R10 in 12 gauge and love it.
Ted will hopefully be along shortly to give you some info on your 24 gauge.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

24 gauge is more common in Europe than it is in the US. It is scarce to rare in the US. I'd love to have one. Gil
P.S. call Larry at http://www.dutchmanwoodworks.com/ for a buttplate.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When talking Darne guns, 24 was rare in Europe, too. I asked Hervé Bruchet, 20 years ago, if they still built 24 gauge guns, and he answered, "Yea, but, I don't know why. Nobody buys them. I don't know why they would".
And so it goes. You have not lucked into a winning lottery ticket, just the lowest grade Darne R model gun, with brazed barrels instead of monoblock barrels, in a gauge that is hard to feed. Not impossible, mind you, but, you will have to really want to shoot it, in order to do so. Most of the 24 gauge Darnes I have seen were 2 1/2" chamber guns, as well. The barrel flats will be marked 6.5 or 65 if that is the case.
There was, at one time, a specific "Halifax" buttplate. Older guns often had horn that had lines cut in it (my Halifax is so equipped). The Dutchman buttplate is a reproduction of the typical R model buttplate, and would be perfectly usable, in addition to being made of stable ureathane, instead of the organic horsey hoof plastic the original was, which, is not stable, and tends to shrink and/or crack.
The screws would have been lightly engraved, with a thin slot (NOT phillips head) and skillfully aligned up and down.
Pictures would be good, especially a clear one of the flats of the barrels. You can email them to me, and I will post them here for all to enjoy or to be scornful of.
I like to think that the scornful wouldn't know what to do with a tray of broiled butter and garlic escargots, fresh off the grille, while Brigitte Bardot was sitting next to them, with a big jug of Fischer Alsace in her hand.
Pics to:

tedjs@usfamily.net

Good luck!

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a 24 gauge Darne on naturabuy sometime ago and it was in fine shape at a finer price. If I were to have one it would be a gun to handload for and RMC brass hulls would be my choice. Wads are available at Ballistic Products. It would make a nice woodcock gun and no one would try to borrow shells from you. wink Last year someone was selling 24 gauge barrels for a Beretta 686 O/U that would fit the 20 gauge action. I was sorely tempted....Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

We shoot a Fausti 24 gauge over under.
Fun gun if you reload, the factory ammo is a
bit wimpy.
Mike

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716907089

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted a few pictures sent more to follow tomorrow.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Got a few:

We have a Halifax with a conventional R model safety, decent wood and case colors, and a SWEEEEEET white line pad of some sort. I'm not positive why one needs a pad on a 24 gauge, but, someone did it.
We have guys here (skeettx comes to mind) who would be out in the garage turning bullets to produce ammunition for some strange WW! sporter that never got popular, that he is thrilled to own. At the other end are guys like me, who prefer to have guns they can feed off the shelf from Wal Mart. The clearance shelf, preferably.
If you have a new gun, I'm happy for you, and I hope you enjoy it. But, TALK of 24 or, 18, or, for that matter, 14 gauge, is about as close as I will ever get. 16 gauge is getting weird enough.
More pics to come, after the legal legwork from the OP's home state is completed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

How true, how true, love to bring the neglected firearms back into use. If they could only talk smile
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the feedback. Found some 24 gauge shells not as hard to find as i thought they might be. $10.00 to $14.00 per box.
Looking forward to shooting it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.