April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hoot4570, drcook, obsessed-with-doubles), 924 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

p.s. another thought, maybe this is a base wad that did not get punched for the flash hole.

that's an interesting question. having it remain the barrel and being very hard to get down the bore all fits with it being a base wad. If I had some unfired loads from that company, I would cut one apart and verify that this is, indeed, a shot-cup wad and not a base wad. I suppose it could be a shot cup wad that was inserted in the shell BEFORE the powder was dropped. That would do about the same thing. There would be a delay between the primer firing and the powder firing which might be what the guide heard.

That guide earned his paycheck, tip, pat on the back, and beers for a LONG time.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not a basewad.

It's a Gulandi wad, just like it says.

Pictures are available on various web sites of what these in their several forms look like.

It had fire on both sides of it, we can see that. The rest is unknown.

It's good to look out after each other. If you hear an unusual report, do inform the shooter. He may not have heard it from his vantage point.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never seen a Gulandi wad, and I do not know whether they make base wads or not. It was an interesting idea.

fire on both sides would primer below, powder above - at least it could be.

I've stopped one shooter whose wad did not clear the barrel on a blooper. I don't know what would have happened, but it was easy to catch and fix - at a trap range.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not believe a primer would get fire through a thick plastic wad like this and ignite the powder, if it had been an under-shot wad with the powder on top of it, but I could be wrong.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/21/17 06:33 PM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I've posted this story before.
I was hunting with a guy who was using reloads. He shot them a lot at targets with never a problem. He had a few squib rounds while hunting though. The problem was the wads were slightly to small for the casings. The shells bouncing around in his game bag let some of the powder sift to the upper side of the wad. Causing a problem similar to what is shown in the photo.
terc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't we establish this was a shot wad and not a base wad? If it were in crooked, I'd think primer ignition and maybe partial powder ignition might burn both sides...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My hypothesis.

For Wonko - it was the No. 7 shot

For the rest of us wink
Tipped wads occur in factory loads

Gun Club

Winchester Universal

Dissected. Note unburned powder past the base

Enough powder remained to propel the wad partially down the barrel as the powder past the base ignited and fried the plastic. The LOUD report (NOT a squib) was because of the functionally short barrel. Short barrel shotguns ARE loud.

Jay Menefee is a good guy. Dan might alert him to this thread
http://www.polywad.com/contactus.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a very likely scenario Drew.

I had a bent Gun Club wad a couple weeks ago and caught it when the shell would not freely chamber. Bent at the crush section near 90 degrees.

Polywad uses wads designed for the hulls they use. There will be no powder migration if the wad is correctly loaded.

The point of my other thread was that factory shells are not necessarily of higher quality than those reloaded by someone who follows good procedure. Power driven equipment while equipped with lots of nifty safety features does not give tactile feedback to the operator.

No product is perfect.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I do not believe a primer would get fire through a thick plastic wad like this and ignite the powder, if it had been an under-shot wad with the powder on top of it, but I could be wrong.

SRH

Stan, I"ve shot a fair bit of primer wads in BPCR/TR competition loads. I find it amazing at what merer rifle primers can burn through. Shot shell primers could do much more I suspect. However, I don't think that's required here. Just moving the powder-filled wad down the barrel a bit until enough powder gets past the wad or primer fire going the other direction and then ignition occurs and the gun fires leaving the wad (mostly) in the barrel and scorched on both sides.

But who knows for sure? In any event, a significant disaster was avoided because of a sharp onlooker. That's all that matters.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the 12-20 bursts there are two factors at work. First the 20 rim will hang in the forcing cone so there is a bit of clearance for an obstruction situation, however on the other hand it is so near the 12 that actual chamber pressure is raised as well. These bursts will be in the chamber/forcing cone area. The rim on a 20 gauge shell runs around 0.760". This will go beyond the 0.798" diameter of a normal chamber end of the 12 but will not enter the bore of even an 11 gauge @ 0.751", but will stop at some point in the cone dependent on exact angle of the cone. it will not enter any bore except something on the order of a chamberless gun. A barrel which bursts out beyond the hand doesn't sound ike a typical 12/20 burst but purely an obstructional burst, "Me Thinks" that one needed a lot more investigation.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.