March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ancient history on barrel bursts
https://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA91

As Miller said, Greener had trouble bursting a barrel with obstructions
http://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA92

BUT a study by the Royal Military College of Science, sponsored by the Birmingham Proof House and the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, showed that an obstruction by 2 fibre wads (total weight of 4 grams) was sufficient to bulge or burst a 12 gauge barrel shooting a 28 gram (slightly less than 1 ounce) load.

Obstructions are no problem...until they are not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington Arms ran a test many years ago and filmed it where they dropped a 20 ga shell in a 12 gun then fired it. No barrel rupture. Don't know how many times they ran the test but I saw two different guns where they did it. A 870 and a1100. I got the impression even they were surprised when it did not cause a blown barrel. Perhaps they did it for an in house test in case they got into a lawsuit over a failed barrel or perhaps they were just extreme testing their guns to destruction. Glad they never released that film because you just know some other idiot would try it and not take the safety precautions that they did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As you wish.

I've only seen the recent aftermath of 2 incidents.

A 12 gauge Model 12, and a 28 gauge 1100.

They both split open between the muzzle and the end of the fore stock.

That's only 2, but it's 100% of the guns that I know were fired with a stuck wad.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington was sued for "poor" barrels", and settled a class action suit. I had a number of Remmies, and got a check for about $100, which I promptly endorsed to an outfit whose mission is to fight horse pucky lawsuits like this. I ended up talking to the law office. Their lack of knowledge was stunning

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY, I've seen the result of a 20/12 accident too.

This was a Beretta 390.

No burst, but one hell of a bulge that split the forend wood into splinters and caused minor injury.

Modern barrel steel is quite ductile and it's a lot thicker just forward of the chamber than a few inches from the muzzle where I've seen the splits from stuck wads.

Buzz #495392 11/21/17 12:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
You realize WTS is just messing with you, right?

Buzz, in my defense, that was a pre-coffee response. Much slower prior to the ingestion of caffeine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Remington Arms ran a test many years ago and filmed it where they dropped a 20 ga shell in a 12 gun then fired it. No barrel rupture. Don't know how many times they ran the test but I saw two different guns where they did it. A 870 and a1100. I got the impression even they were surprised when it did not cause a blown barrel. Perhaps they did it for an in house test in case they got into a lawsuit over a failed barrel or perhaps they were just extreme testing their guns to destruction. Glad they never released that film because you just know some other idiot would try it and not take the safety precautions that they did.

I was standing behind a gentleman on the skeet field, next in line to shoot, when this very thing happened. It was an auto of some kind and blew out just in front of his hand and he got only a scratch from the splintering wood. He had a couple other 20ga carts in the bag so the 20/12 thing seemed like a reasonable explanation. No one bothered to mention how incredibly stupid it was to mix the shells like that.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
WTS, straight grip. So, would a high bird theoretically increase the chance of a stuck wad as well?

Well, in a case like that gravity is working against the wad so it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't doubt barrels blow up. We all have seen examples either in person or on the internet. What does surprise me is how much abuse and stupidity they seem able to withstand. If they can withstand some of the stupid reloaders I've seen they are tough indeed. Why is it a man will pay ten grand for a gun then shoot cheapest ammo around or reload crap and shoot it in his nice new gun? Should have bought a cheaper gun and used the savings to buy decent ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note however that this was a new shell from a boutique maker known for high quality.

The 20/12 thing is preventable, but people do need to use their head for more than a hat rack.

I was at a charity shoot where the shells were provided. We had nice new Fiocchi shells in both 20 and 12 available IN THE STANDS.

This at a usually well run facility. I've no clue how this was considered a good idea.

We were the second group to shoot. Mind you, this is a hospital benefit shoot with many novice shooters. First group had some idiot woman and the usual 'helpers'.

She loads and calls, her auto goes 'click'. We hear, 'you forgot to load'.

All five of us, in unison, shouted 'STOP'.

Sure enough, she loaded a 20.

That's how accidents happen. It's a chain of errors.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.